• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
phil67rpg

c and games

This topic is 3770 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by phil67rpg
what is a good starter game using c

The best starter game using C is the one that doesn't use C, in my opinion. I'm assuming you're new to programming and, if you are, I would avoid C like the plague for a number of boring, technical reasons (as well as my own personal opinion; I hate C with a burning white-hot passion).

However, if you already know C then you could try something very simple and text-based, like "Guess the Number". It involves the computer picking a number and the player has to guess it. You can vary the difficulty by making the range of the randomly selected number bigger (instead of between 1 and 5, try 1 and 10 etc.), and you can give the user a number of guesses or lives (get the number wrong 3 times, game over) or something like that. It's a very simple game, easy to program and just because it's not selling millions of copies and making millions of dollars doesn't mean it's not a game and not worth writing.

I would stick to text-based stuff like that for now. You could maybe, if you're feeling adventurous, try making Hangman but that is much more complicated for a beginner (I've been coding games on and off for about four years and never made Hangman, might try it once my current project is complete).

Good luck! I'm sure other people will post in this thread with different suggestions too.

Tell us the most complex program/game you have made to date, and we can suggest one that is a bit harder.

Quote:
well I was thinking of making a poker game

Yup, you don't necessarily need graphics to do that. I'd still say avoid C, though. Looking at your previous post history it looks like you've tried a bit of everything [grin] so I'm not too sure what to recommend, what did you like the most out of all you've studied so far?

Quote:
Off you go then, that's a perfectly fine idea that isn't overly complex, give it a shot.

Quote:
Original post by ukdeveloper
Quote:

Yup, you don't necessarily need graphics to do that.

Unless it's strip poker. [grin]

Poker or any other card game is fairly simple, unless it requires complex AI. It's a good choice I think.

Quote:
Original post by WanMaster
Quote:
Original post by ukdeveloper
Yup, you don't necessarily need graphics to do that.

Unless it's strip poker. [grin]

There's always ASCII-Pr0n...

I would recommend you stick with C. It is difficult to learn (and use at times) but you get a large amount of control with it, and it's very versatile. Also, if you ever decide you want to do more than just program games, a lot of code in colleges and businesses is still being written in C or is left over from days when C was king.

Quote:
Original post by samoz
I would recommend you stick with C. It is difficult to learn (and use at times) but you get a large amount of control with it, and it's very versatile.

I must reluctantly agree with this. I know C is hard to learn as a beginner language because its so powerful and it can blow your leg off if you try to shoot yourself in the foot (Metaphorically speaking). What I like about it is that you not only get your feet we with it, you learn the fundamentals of programming at vigorous pace. If you switch to VB or Java, you will not touch pointers or memory addresses. You won't learn how to manage things yourself, which I believe is absolutely required by programmers.

But before this turns into a rant, I must say that there is a clear line between programmers that believe C should be taught first, versus teaching managed (or 'visual') languages.

If you shy away from all that hard work, try C#, its just like C but with the grunt work handled for you. So if you end up shooting yourself in the foot, it would be with a water gun :).

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!