Sign in to follow this  

C++ and the boost:: library. Is it cross-platform?

This topic is 3458 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm working on a tool and I'd like to use boost ( as it is quite useful ). However my tool needs to compile on both Windows and the Mac OSX [ Mac Book Pro. It's all I have right now. ;p ]. So is the boost library cross-platform? I'm also using Xcode to compile my C++ programs on the Mac. I did some looking-around before I came to post this question and I came across www.boost.org and I didn't see Xcode on their list of compatible compilers ( or something along the lines of that ). So if any of these questions could be answered, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks all! ~PCN

Boost is supported on a large number of platforms.

But to answer your question: Yes. I am personally using boost on OS X and Windows.

[edit]

However when I built boost for OS X, I couldn't get boost's build system to create universal binaries. To fix that I manually built separate x86 and ppc binaries then manually made them universal using the lipo command line tool.

Quote:
Original post by PCN
Well thanks for the quick reply! I'm glad boost is cross-platform. Thanks!
( fpsgamer gained 20 exp.! fpsgamer leveled up! fpsgamer's User Rating increased! )

;p

Well I also happened to make a quick edit of my post that I don't think you caught. I have a bad habit of doing that :)

Just because a platform uses gcc doesn't mean that boost will work properly on that platform. On darwin-PowerPC, almost all the regression tests pass. However, on darwin-Intel systems many of the regression tests don't, such as date_time and numeric/interval.

This topic is 3458 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.