Sign in to follow this  

3D Engine or Game system

This topic is 3466 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

First off, hello all GameDev users. Now, as to the question. I am curious as to which how you guys would proceed in the development process of a small Rpg. (1) Create the core game system, (terminal based) than add the graphical interface and other media such as; 3D, audio, imagery, etc... Or, build the game engine, and build the game system from that. Programming language: C++ Game Type: Role Playing Many thanks, feedback appreciated.

Doesn't really matter, you can do it in the way you like it,
a graphical interface might help though.
But an advice would be to look at the graphic engines,
are you gonna use an existing or make your own.
If you are using existing engines you might find it easier to learn it and wrap around it.

If you really plan on developing your own engine, I'd start from there, and work your way up. There could be a lot of ifs and buts you might encounter if you go the other way around, causing you to re-factor the game system and completely destroying whatever you'd already done.

But in all honesty, if you're planning on creating an "engine", be prepared to spend a good couple of months doing nothing but writing code, and never really seeing any progress (other than flying cubes or pointless things like that) - which most people try to do and bomb out before anything ever really gets "finished".

Writing a game engine is not a simple feat; it's not as simple as Image.LoadAnimation('person.ext'); or whatever. Expect to write a good ten thousand+ lines of code to get to just that stage, let alone to anything even resembling a game.

If all you want is a game, but you'd like to "make it yourself", I'd suggest using a pre-made engine (Ogre is one that I can think off of the top of my head). Or at the very least, a good library (SDL or Allegro) to kick start it so you can "skip" the real low level stuff for now, and just "make it work". If you're feeling adventurous after making the game, then factor it out into your own.

If your going to make your own engine, then may I recommend a few things before you dive into thousands of lines of code.

(1) Plan your engine no matter how tedious it is. Nothing concrete, but give yourself an idea of a finish-line to achieve.

(2) Write proof-of-concept demos, no matter how small or big, before you integrate it into your engine. This saves you on build time, and debugging time. And also it gives you a little reference in case you ever want to come back to it.

(3) Write your game alongside with your engine. Without a real world test of your engine, you won't know if it all works well together. So refactor based on the needs of the game, but try to keep it generic.

(4) If it is an in-house engine, then don't write documentation, just write short comments for functions/methods. Don't overcomment, and sometimes you don't need to comment at all.

Just some helpful tips that I have gained down the road.

This topic is 3466 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.