Sign in to follow this  

impulses on a rod with multiple contacts

This topic is 3460 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello I am trying to simulate a 3D rod bouncing against walls and the ground. I need it to look reasonably real -but its for a simple game so I dont need it to be super accurate. I find that when I have multiple contacts things go horribly wrong. I have searched a lot sites and some say they have used LCP and baraff's method, and others have applied the impulses sequentially (I don't quite know how). Can anyone recommend the way forward - is LCP/Baraff the only way really? Very confused.

Sequential impulses are much easier to implement, much easier to debug, and possibly faster.

Also, using a LCP solver for "simultaneous" collisions (not contacts) will result in incorrect behaviour - e.g. for situations like you find in a Newton's Cradle (example here)

Look at Erin Catto's sequential impulse solver. This is equivalent to solving the the LCP using a Projected Gauss-Seidel (PGS) on the velocity level. The same concepts apply in 3D, so it is relatively straight forward to implement it in your system...

www.gphysics.com

This topic is 3460 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.