Sign in to follow this  

Points system

This topic is 3465 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, I'm currently just about finishing up my latest game, which is a game with movement a la asteroids, where the player has 3 wingmen, and must fight off different enemy ships, capital ships, ship yards, etc. There is not much of a story, I just have pretty much infinite levels, where each level is just one of the six play types. I know that since there is no story, there is not much incentive to play, so I am thinking of doing some points system. I have a few questions: 1) Would a leaderboard on my website motivate people to play more? 2) How should I go about uploading this? Maybe have the game automatically do it? Or have players input the points in their browser, of course it has been encrypted by the game? Say, once the player loses, the game goes into game-over, and also encrypts the point value. Maybe adds some letters to the end to extend the encrypted code, and encrypts it against some key. The player then inputs this at the site. Would this be to much of a hassle for the player? I know it probably would not be very secure for very long, so how could I go about updating the encryption key on the site and the game? Should I maybe have a special program running on my server on some obscure port that dumps the key to the program if it gives the correct password? Thanks! Of course this password would be hardcoded into my game.

1. Probably yes

2. The game should give the player the choice to upload and at the same time the player should not be given the ability to type in their own value.

If you are making the player work by having to leave the game and go manually imput a high score I'd personally find it annoying.

Also hard coded passwords are easily hackable I believe.

This topic is 3465 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.