Sign in to follow this  

Complete Newb

This topic is 3461 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I've got close to no networking or programming experience outside of setting up a LAN match in video games and hooking my router up for my home network. I'm looking to play a really old online FPS game with a couple of buddies. The problem is the game was taken offline a few years ago leaving no server for us to connect to and play. The game doesn't have an option to connect using LAN, but I'm wondering if there is a simple way to hook something like that up. Sorry if I'm not being very detailed or making much sense, like i said I've got no programming or networking experience. I'm pretty much just looking for a response telling me whether or not it's possible, and the relative ease or difficulty that might be expected. Thanks!

Well, this is a game development forum and that isn't really the kind of question we can help much with (e.g. whether or not something is possible with an existing commercial game). Chances are, it will not be a programming solution...at least, not for you. You best bet is to find a community for the specific game and see if there is already an existing solution. It is highly unlikely that you are the only ones still playing this game. But since you never mentioned the name of the game I can't even do a web search for you.

[google]

The game is called Magestorm and was developed by Mythic, the company that made Dark Age of Camelot. It came out in 1995 and was distributed as a free download, requiring a monthly subscription from one of several sites such as Gamestorm, AOL, and mythic-realms.com that hosted servers for it. The game itself was really only playable online as it was a team based FPS with no AI. An 'offline' version of it exists, but it really consists of you running around one of the maps by yourself with nothing to do but shoot at walls. I've searched extensively and am positive there isn't a server hosting the game at the moment. Like I said above, I'm looking for a way to maybe host matches on a LAN setup or something that will get us into a matches so we can shoot each other up.

Is it possible? Yes, well sort of.

People are working on building Star Wars Galaxies(pre-NGE) servers from scratch.

The problem is that unless you can find someone that did a packet capture while playing the game it is going to be almost impossible (there are ways but way outside your scope). Unless you know how the server responses to client traffic it is going to be very hard to build a server without a lot more info.

theTroll

This topic is 3461 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.