Sign in to follow this  

Scripting Language (Server-Side)

This topic is 3465 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey, I was wondering if I could use a scripting language such as; Python or Lua to do the server-side work for a game? I plan on using Multi Media Fusion 2 for the User/client side of things. Oh, this would all be for a 2D game of course. Also, I'm curious as to how essential something like MySQL would be for something like this? Sorry if my question isn't dwelling deeper into vital information needed for you to give advice. Thanks for your kind words and advice in advanced.

Yes any of those can be used for a server. The requirements for a game server are pretty much 1) a networking library, and 2) a database binding library; and Python & Lua both have those.

But I'm not sure if it's possible to use that Multimedia Fusion 2 thing for an online game, it doesn't look like they support that.

Quote:
Original post by Jonathan5
Hey, I was wondering if I could use a scripting language such as; Python or Lua to do the server-side work for a game?
Yes - For example, Supreme Commander uses Lua for both client and server code.
Quote:
Also, I'm curious as to how essential something like MySQL would be for something like this?
It depends what kind of game it is... Most games don't require a full database server like MySQL, but some online games with lots of persistent data may benefit from using an off-the-shelf database.

Does the server require long-term storage? Do you need to be able to search/sort/filter data from storage?

Thank you for the replies. MMF2 can make online games with MooClick. As far as long-term storage goes, well that depends on what kind of game I decide to make. A 2D shooter wouldn't need MySQL, but some sort of RPG probably would. Thanks again, you both have answered my questions.

I would probably try to move to a parallel-friendly language on the server instead (stackless python comes to mind) to get the scalability benefits. Also, instead of getting of using a heavyweight database from day zero, I would probably use an in-memory database for most data and merely commit the contents of that database to a slower on-disk backup database at regular intervals.

This topic is 3465 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.