Opinions Required for Two Job Offers PLEASE HELP

Started by
11 comments, last by Promethium 15 years, 10 months ago
[Edited by - Nads on June 24, 2008 5:59:14 AM]
Advertisement
Porting games to other handsets is rubbish and boring. It can hardly be called "game development". Don't go there!
Do you have kids with local social attachments?

1 - Yes.
Stay where you are.

2 - No.
Stop being a pu**y and move, it's 3 hours, it's not like you're changing countries.

[Edited by - Nads on June 24, 2008 5:07:29 AM]
We've developed mobile games, and it sounds like it'd be fun, but ... hardly. The 360 etc. on the other hand is a pleasure to code for and use, and at least considered current. IMO you'd be doing yourself injustice if you were to take the Java job...
One thing to consider regarding company 1 is that it could be an excellent way to get your foot in the door of that company. Do the mobile/Java thing for a year or two, and you might have proven yourself enough to be shipped to Japan to do the real console development.

However, this is of course only attractive if you want to relocate to Japan, which is a good deal more than 3 hours away. [wink]

[Edited by - Nads on June 24, 2008 6:13:02 AM]
My 2p...

If I were you, I'd avoid doing "porting" jobs if possible, I can't see that being particularly fun or taxing (If it's just porting and not re-designing for the new platform).

You could also try applying to some other places, I seem to recall there's a lot of games places around London that you should be able to apply for.
Quote:Original post by Nads
Only problem with moving is say if i don't like the place (because its actually on another island close to england) or i cant adjust after 1-2months. isn't it going to start taking a toll on my work also? i dont want to end up stressing living there and away from everyone.

Game development is a stressful job.

People may love the job, and shrug it off easier, but it's still stressful. Long hours, sometimes shit jobs, sometimes shitty people, sometimes a lot worse. The up side, it pays well, sometimes you get awesome jobs, sometimes you meet awesome people and sometimes a lot better.

I'm sounding like an a-hole now but, stop being a pu**y and move!
At the very least, take the job, rent a house there just for yourself for the first 2 months, and take your wife(life) later, when you're sure.

[Edited by - Nads on June 24, 2008 6:22:19 AM]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement