Sign in to follow this  

B-spline problem

This topic is 3461 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hallo, I have been trying to implement Uniform quadratic B-splines into a project I am working on, but I have some problems. I dont fully understand the formula for it. Here is the formula: http://upload.wikimedia.org/math/a/6/5/a656ebac5f7c1d5dd683d191a8e5eb88.png If I have a list of control points, how do I know where to use which one? I thought that at t = 0 you are at controlPoint_0 and at t = 1 you are at controlPoint_n, but as t is the only changing factor( Si(t) =...) I cant see how all points are being used. Here is my code so far, if anyone is interested
  var steps = 20;

for (var j = 0; j < steps; j++)
  {
     var t = j / steps;

var i = 1;  // 

var half = 0.5;

var b0 = [ ((t * t) * half), (t * half), (1 * half) ];

var b1 = [ ( (b0[0] * 1)  + (b0[1] * -2) + (b0[2] * 1) ),
                ( (b0[0] * -2) + (b0[1] * 2)  + (b0[2] * 1) ),
                ( (b0[0] * 1)  + (b0[1] * 0)  + (b0[2] * 0) )  ];

var b2 = [ ( (b1[0] * list[i-1].locH) + (b1[1] * list[i].locH) + (b1[2] * list[i+1].locH) ),
                ( (b1[0] * list[i-1].locv) + (b1[1] * list[i].locv) + (b1[2] * list[i+1].locv) )  ]

var xPos = b2[0];
     var yPos = b2[1];
  }

Also, it it correct that if I have a curve with 3 points, the curves does not start at p0 or end at p2 (when you draw it)? Its floating in the middle? Could anyone give me a helping hand here?

Every section of a B-spline use d+1 control points (where d is the degree). So suppose you have n points. The first section use the points from P0 to Pd, the second from P1 to Pd+1 and so on. The last section from Pn-d to Pn.
The curve doesn’t pass from the first and last control points. It’s the correct behavior of a uniform B-spline.

Hey, thanks for your reply.

Is there anyway of making the curve start at p0 and end at pn? I tried using p0 twice for the start point, but then I dont get a equal spacing of points along the curve.

The equal spacing isn’t between points but between knots.

A general B-spline is defined by a sequence of non decreasing real numbers {u0, u1 ... um} called knot vector and a sequence of control points {P0, P1 ... Pn}. The degree of the B-spline is d = m - n - 1. A B-spline is defined in the interval [ud, um-d].

The knot vector of a uniform B-spline have the following property: ui+1 = ui + Δ, where Δ is a constant. Usually u0 = 0 and Δ = 1. So the knot vector becomes the sequence of the first m+1 natural numbers {0, 1, ... m}.

If you want the curve to start at P0 and end at Pn you have to use a non-uniform B-spline. In particular the curve start at P0 if u0 = u1 = ... = ud and end at Pn if um-d = um-d+1 = ... = um. But the definition of the B-spline basis functions becomes more complicated. They aren’t anymore the same curve translated. To robustly evaluate a B-spline the de Boor algorithm can be used.

Thanks a lot :)

One last question, is it possible to create a function out of the b spline curve in the form f(u)? I would like to have something follow the curve.

Im sorry, but I dont understand how to to this.

Could anyone take a look at my code and give me a hint, or maybe give me a link with an example or explanation?

// Conrol points (x,y)
var list = Array( cp0,cp1,cp2, cp3,cp4,cp5,cp6,cp7,cp0,cp1 );

var steps = 30;

for(var i = 1; i < (list.length - 1); i++)
{
for (var j = 0; j < steps; j++)
{
var t = j / steps;

var half = 0.5;
var half_t = t * half;

var b0 = [ (t * half_t), (half_t), ( half) ];

var b1 = [ ( (b0[0]) + (b0[1] * -2) + (b0[2]) ),
( (b0[0] * -2) + (b0[1] * 2) + (b0[2]) ),
( ( b0[0] ) ) ];

var xPos = (b1[0] * list[i-1].locH) + (b1[1] * list[i].locH) + (b1[2] * list[i+1].locH)
var yPos = (b1[0] * list[i-1].locv) + (b1[1] * list[i].locv) + (b1[2] * list[i+1].locv)

// Draw the sprites
}
}

Your formula looks correct. I don’t understand what’s the problem. What do you want to obtain?

As I have previously said you can also use the de Boor algorithm. The following is a code that use it to find a point on a section of a uniform quadratic B-spline (not tested):

var a11 = 0.5*(t + 1.0);
var a12 = 0.5*t;
var a22 = t;

var b11 = (1.0 - a11)*list[i-1] + a11*list[i];
var b12 = (1.0 - a12)*list[i] + a12*list[i+1];
var b22 = (1.0 - a22)*b11 + a22*b12;

The formula you have used is correct, so you should obtain the same result.

This topic is 3461 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.