How does Alias check to make sure you're not using the student edition for profit.

Started by
20 comments, last by Shadownami92 15 years, 9 months ago
Like the title says, how does Alias check if your using the SE of Maya for profit? And what would they do if they did catch you using it for profit.
Advertisement
Autodesk doesn't really check, as there is no good way to do so, so it is an honor thing. Of course, if you're doing professional work and you get audited by the IRS, things could get hairy there. The worst thing that Autodesk (not Alias) could do is sue, but the odds aren't high.

Then again, if you're making commercial work with it, you ought to be able to afford it then. It costs them a lot of money to develop and market the software. Why wouldn't you want to support the further development of the tool?

[Edited by - zer0wolf on June 24, 2008 3:56:47 PM]
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Quote:Original post by swedekid
Like the title says, how does Alias check if your using the SE of Maya for profit?

Alias makes their money off businesses, and is primarily concerned with businesses that pirate (or misuse) software. They are a member of the BSA, and presumably use the same methods that other business software companies use.
Quote:And what would they do if they did catch you using it for profit.
I don't know. Try it and find out. As to what they could do? Quite a lot.
Quote:Original post by swedekid
Like the title says, how does Alias check if your using the SE of Maya for profit? And what would they do if they did catch you using it for profit.
Alias is like Santa Claus. They watch everything you do, every minute of every day!

Just like using anything for profit that you aren't supposed to, you are pretty much on the honor system. They sold you the student version on the assumption that you were a 3D graphics student, and you needed it to learn the skills needed to get a job using Maya somewhere in the industry. Not for commercial use.

I read an article somewhere talking about this, and the author said something along the lines of the 3D art community not being as big as people think it is, and when you get caught doing things like that, or using pirated software, your name goes to shit quickly.

Why not just use something cheaper? There is Lightwave, XSI Softimage, Carrara, Truespace, etc... Sometimes you can even get some of these things for free, if you happen to keep track of the news. I got Carrara 5.1 and Poser 5 for free, over the last 2 years, and can do anything I want with them. The full version of lightwave is only 895, that's lower than some of than of stripped down versions of the other programs. It's been used a lot in TV and games.
Well what I was considering doing was buying the SE version and get good enough to make some money with it and use that to pay for part of the price of the full maya software. I live in a community that has a large area and very few people so it is a 15-20 minute drive to the next town and theres no job openings where I live mostly just farms so I really have no other way of making money.
Then get a job in the city. Most people who actually live inside the cities spend more than 15-20 minutes commuting to their jobs. It's not a big deal. When you started using Maya SE, you agreed to a legal agreement not to use it for commercial use. Piracy for personal use is one thing, but when you violate your EULA for commercial gain, that is something else entirely.

If you actually want a future in 3d graphics, it's best not to soil your reputation.

XSI SoftImage Foundation is only 495.
Lightwave Complete 895.
----
Maya Complete 3990
Maya Unlimited 4995

Like I said, there are other options.
Why must you use Maya? Why don't you use something cheaper? Softimage|XSI 6.02 Foundation is $495 (great for games, but lacks some of the features you'd want for film), Cinema4D is $895 (used for things like commercials and visual walk throughs), Lighwave3D is also $895. As you can see, there are other options.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
Quote:Original post by zer0wolf
Why must you use Maya? Why don't you use something cheaper? Softimage|XSI 6.02 Foundation is $495 (great for games, but lacks some of the features you'd want for film), Cinema4D is $895 (used for things like commercials and visual walk throughs), Lighwave3D is also $895. As you can see, there are other options.

I was just used to the Maya interface using PLE, downloading free trial of XSI to check that out. Is foundation non commercial only?
XSI Mod Tool is free and great to learn on for making games with. Foundation (which is $495) is completely capable for commercial work. It is cheaper than the more costly editions because it is basically the previous version of the software and lacks some of the dynamics, such as hair and cloth. If you want to produce game art though, Foundation has damn near everything you'd want included.

If you're somewhat serious about giving XSI a try, head over to http://community.softimage.com/ and check out all of the free training videos they have posted up on the forums. They are incredibly helpful and will get you up and running with XSI pretty quickly.
I'd advice against XSI Foundation, if you really like it either stick to Mod Tool, or get Essentials or Advanced.

Why?

There is no upgrade option for Foundation, which means that in order to upgrade from 6.02 to 7.0 when it comes out you will have to pay $495 again, you do get $100 off if you preorder or for a month after it is released, but after that, is full price again.

This wouldn't be so bad except that there was only a year between 4.0, 5.0, and 6.0 (apparently 6.5 created a delay for 7.0, since it was introduced as a mayor, read paid, update).

To top it off, bugs found on Foundation are the last to be addressed (if ever), so if a Foundation specific bug affects you, you will have to wait for the next mayor version to see it solved.

Other than that, yes it is very capable, it is not "basically the previous version of the software" but the current version stripped of the most shiny capabilities such as Hair I think, MOTOR, GATOR and some others (sadly both GATOR and MOTOR are great for game content creation [sad]).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement