How does Alias check to make sure you're not using the student edition for profit.

Started by
20 comments, last by Shadownami92 15 years, 9 months ago
If you can manage to track down 3D World magazine issue 100, they gave away a free copy of Carrara Studio Pro 5.1 (the current version being 6). Magazine cost 19.99 (because it's an import) at my local store.

It's not up to the level of some of the other software, but it's got a good renderer. I've been using it's FBX exporter for XNA models.

There is also Carrara Express with is like 100$ I think, but it's stripped down of some advanced features, or has lower quality replacements.
Advertisement
actually foundation is great
and yes there is a way to upgrade. and yes it stripped down version of the las current version you get gator and mator but not all of it. plus you can easily get scripts to do the same thing
if i had the money i would get ther other ones

also when is 7 out?
Bring more Pain
Quote:Original post by Daaark
If you can manage to track down 3D World magazine issue 100, they gave away a free copy of Carrara Studio Pro 5.1 (the current version being 6). Magazine cost 19.99 (because it's an import) at my local store.

It's not up to the level of some of the other software, but it's got a good renderer. I've been using it's FBX exporter for XNA models.

There is also Carrara Express with is like 100$ I think, but it's stripped down of some advanced features, or has lower quality replacements.

Stay away from Carrara Express unless you get it on one of those $1.99 DAZ sales, it is only good to save some money later when you upgrade to Standard or Pro.

Also, I had to order my copy of that magazine, it got lost in the mail, but later I managed to get 6 Pro at about 50% ($192 IIRC), last month they had an special on Carrara 6 Pro, Hexagon 2, Mimic and something else for $190, they extended the offer at least 2 times, so it may still be up.

Edit: Yes, it is still up but only until June 30.
Quote:Original post by owiley
actually foundation is great
and yes there is a way to upgrade. and yes it stripped down version of the las current version you get gator and mator but not all of it. plus you can easily get scripts to do the same thing
if i had the money i would get ther other ones

also when is 7 out?

Well, I didn't say it wasn't great. I don't think any part of GATOR is in it (I'll check when I get home), MOTOR is definitely not in there.

And well, if I wanted to write or debug scripts, I could just use Blender instead, you usually spend money on these things to make your life easier.

Edit: I checked, the button for GATOR is nowhere to be found, the one for MOTOR under the Animation Perspective does nothing.

[Edited by - Kwizatz on June 24, 2008 9:26:04 PM]
I really wouldn't spend another cent on a Carrara product again. 19.99 was enough. Carrara has some funny quirks, and I have noticed that none of the userbase ever really gets anything done with the software.

It's has a nice renderer, and that seems to be what gets the most use. The user base imports figures from poser, and terrains from Vue and other stuff, and then renders it out.

Original work is very hard to achieve with it, because the modeling aspect of the software is very subpar, and if you want better, you have to spend like 300-600 on another product called Hexagon. I find it hard to get anything more than basic modeling done with it (on a scene level) because you can only model an object in isolation, in a little room, and it's very hard to see where it interacts with your scene.

If you want to model a shirt on a figure, you can only see the shirt, and everything else is invisible except for a tiny scene preview window at the bottom. So you end up having to do it blindly, instead of just following the figure.

It's like Poser, where it's only good to render out content you buy from the poser community, and not so much for making your own content, to the point where newer versions have a button in the corner to link you to the shop for anything you might need in the scene you are currently working on. [lol]
Quote:Original post by Daaark
... and I have noticed that none of the userbase ever really gets anything done with the software...

Interesting, I had not seen it that way, I got too involved with Blender so I have not tried to do anything with Carrara, I did get the Hexagon 2.1 OEM CD for $10 bucks, so I guess I could use it if need be. I found the problem with Hexagon to be the lack of support for export formats and the lack of a plugin API, but now that you mention it, I could just export to Carrara and then from there onwards.

In fact, all I wanted Carrara for was to import and then export from DAZ Studio to something else, keeping skeleton and skinning information intact.
Sometimes the only redeeming quality of a piece of 3d software, is that it's importers and exporters for a certain format don't suck as much as the rest.
What about Cinema 4d?
And is this a non commercial version? http://www.academicsuperstore.com/products/Maxon+Computer/Cinema+4D/779342
I'm guessing it probably is...
Quote:Original post by swedekid
What about Cinema 4d?
And is this a non commercial version? http://www.academicsuperstore.com/products/Maxon+Computer/Cinema+4D/779342
The student version of anything is non commercial. That's why they are sold for a fraction of the price. The stripped down version of Cinema 4D is 895 (the price of the full version of lightwave)
Quote:Original post by swedekid
What about Cinema 4d?

I've read great things about it as well as BodyPaint, it is very capable.

That seems to be a non-commercial version, the core package is $890.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement