Texture Spatting on Tiles

Started by
1 comment, last by PumpkinPieman 15 years, 9 months ago
I've been trying to find some good articles to show me examples on how to properly lay texture splats on a tiled grid. Forgive me if I can't make myself clear enough, I'll try and explain it as well as I can. I've created an isometric grid of a fixed size dictated by a map script file (lua). This generates a grid much like THIS. Each map script has X number of tile script files that are loaded. Within those script files: - masks are setup - tiles sets are setup. - each tile set has 9 tiles for each direction and a centre tile. (this can be changed easily to expand to more) - each tile set has a depth, flags, etc. because the map is a big array of index offsets in an array of tile set "key" values, each tile is attached to a set. What I'm trying to figure out is a good way of layering textures such that a layer with a higher depth spills over to the next tile to appear as if it's bending in without the blockyness of the grid. For example how grass would be at a higher level then mud, so the edges of the mud tile where the grass is close would have grass overflowing in. I'm getting hung on the fact that what if 3 different tile textures share an edge with a single tile, how would the layering work there? Or is it just better to use a texture splattering technique and not worry about the game going for an "old school" look?
Advertisement
I think you are talking here about tile transitions ?

Have you checked http://www.gamedev.net/reference/articles/article934.asp

I'm working on a tile based game too and to blend textures/avoid blockyness I ended up using the "texture splatting" approach (or multitexturing), I basically have a bunch of grayscale alpha "masks" in a texture then I just use those with the correct texture, the result is pretty good since everything blends together and the advantage is that you can use those masks with animated sprites (it would be impossible to do tile transitions with animated textures without using some sort of mask or some very clever static textures).

If I misunderstood your problem then forget about what I said.

No, that's my problem exactly. I already came to the assumption that I would have to create that many tiles. To be honest, I believed there would have been an easier way. So I'm probably just going to end up doing some texture splatting.

I'm making a "pen and paper" rts, so working with old school graphics interests me. But earlier today I was thinking, well maybe instead of worrying about height difference in 2D graphics I can just use a height map and maybe put a cross hatch look to the game. There are plenty of cool shaders I can create for a game, and your kind of limited if all your graphics are 2D.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement