Sign in to follow this  

noob seeks baseline

This topic is 3460 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm a java programmer of 4 years industry experience with a BSc Honours degree in CompSci. Want to do turn some gaming ideas I have into the real thing, and I've heard of game creation systems such as DarkBasic, etc. I don't want to reinvent the wheel in terms of pathfinding, collision detection, etc but still want the power to control every aspect of my game, as the ideas I have are I'd chance quite original and don't really fit into the 'this product is good for platform games, this utility is good for shooters' etc type questions. What system should I use that gives me a strong set of pre-existing well built components while at the same time giving me the power to do what I what?

Considering your Java experience, I suggest using JMonkeyEngine. Website is http://jmonkeyengine.com/. It handles low-level stuff such as collision and rendering pretty well. My friend is using it and he is satisfied with results.

this might sound a bit trite but can it create exe's from the jars produced (or is it compatible with jsmooth or another jar->exe conversion utility)?

Whatever platform I use, I want to have a nice clean executable when I'm done.

also it seems to be a graphics engine - do they have libs that take care of collision detection and other non-graphical plumbing?

Quote:
Original post by rutherford
this might sound a bit trite but can it create exe's from the jars produced (or is it compatible with jsmooth or another jar->exe conversion utility)?

No, it's a 3D engine. That's the job of those tools.

There's also WebStart, exes really aren't all that special.

Quote:
Whatever platform I use, I want to have a nice clean executable when I'm done.

That might turn out to be a problem on *nix OSes.

Quote:
also it seems to be a graphics engine - do they have libs that take care of collision detection and other non-graphical plumbing?

Features list

Quote:
Original post by Antheus
No, it's a 3D engine. That's the job of those tools.

It's my understanding that DarkBasic goes further than providing a graphics engine.

Quote:

There's also WebStart, exes really aren't all that special.

To users who know nothing about java, exes are the only thing that exists.

Quote:

That might turn out to be a problem on *nix OSes.

When I say platform I mean the actual game creator platform I use. I'm not planning on developing for unix.

Quote:
Features list

Seems to be graphics only. I think i'll opt for DarkBasic for the time being.

This topic is 3460 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.