Sign in to follow this  

Bouncing and Rotating

This topic is 3457 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, as you may notice, this is my first post on these forums. I am in need of some help with learning physics as I struggle with collision responses...my language is like, low functioned and cannot find or get the things needed, I need to know a formula that can be used in this and not need extra things being added to complicate. I can only really get/set these: - Horizontal Speed - Vertical Speed - Rotation - Direction (Moving towards) - X Position - Y Position I cannot figure out the point of collision making it very complicated...do you think it is possible to do this without using a DLL to add more functions complicating it? If it is possible, can you please tell me how (words, no code) and if you do not know, provide a link or person I should speak to. Thanks, GMREC1111

Unfortunately, collision detection (you can google for that to read up on the various aspects of the subject) is not at all a simple subject. There are a multitude of methods, and the complexity depends on what kind of collision you want to simulate.

1. It depends greatly on the geometry of the colliding objects. Figuring out the collision point of a sphere with a plane is different from calculating the collision point between a cube and a cylinder.

2. The types of values you list describe a single point (except for rotation - a single point doesn't have a "rotation," per se). If you're using the values to describe an object of some shape, then the collision point between that object and another object depends on the shapes of the two objects. In which case, see #1 above.

Once you've settled on what type of collision geometry you want to use, you can write your own functions. I'm not sure about your mention of using a DLL unless you're thinking about using a physics library or something similar.

I have my collision detection all figured out, I just need help with collision responses, I cannot figure out the point of collision so I need a new formula...

Thanks for the reply!

This topic is 3457 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.