Sign in to follow this  

WOW Hello World lua help request - no XML

This topic is 3456 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to make a basic Hello World mod for world of warcraft as my first attempt... I'm trying to stay away from XML as much as possible b/c my end goal doesn't involve graphical interface as much as it does control (maybe i'm mislead about XML and LUA purposes). I do not have an XML file and I'd like to avoid getting into graphics. Anyhow, here is my code that I cannot get to function properly in the game. I have run a few tests to verify that it is loaded, but when i use the slash command...i get nothin... Thanks in advance. function Hello_OnLoad() SLASH_hello1 = "/sendhello"; SlashCmdList["HELLO"] = Hello_Command; end function Hello_Command(cmd) SendChatMessage("Hello", SAY, COMMON, SAY); --verified that this works end

I'm sure a lot of tutorials have been made and a lot of people have made code that you can look through. I do know this in a .lua file prints it: message("Hello World!");

I would guess your problem is that the function never gets called, where do you tell it to actually call the function? WoW comes with a hello world tutorial, it uses an .xml file to tell it to call the function when the game loads:

HelloWorld.xml

<Ui xmlns="http://www.blizzard.com/wow/ui/" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.blizzard.com/wow/ui/
..\..\FrameXML\UI.xsd">
<Frame name="HelloWorldFrame">
<Scripts>
<OnLoad>
HelloWorld();
</OnLoad>
</Scripts>
</Frame>
</Ui>

HelloWorld.lua

function HelloWorld()
message("Hello World!");
end

and just include the 2 files in your .toc file.

Basically if you want to avoid XML(which I recommend) you want to do something like this:

local helloaddon = CreateFrame("frame")
helloaddon:SetScript("OnEvent", function(self, event, ...) if self[event] then return self[event](self, event, ...) end end)
helloaddon:RegisterEvent("ADDON_LOADED")

function helloaddon:ADDON_LOADED(event, addon)
SlashCmdList.HELLOADDON = function(msg) self:OnSlash(msg) end
SLASH_HELLOADDON1 = "/helloaddon"
end

function helloaddon:OnSlash(msg)
DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("This is a test")
end

Drycoded but it should work.

Quote:
Original post by phantom
Quote:
Original post by Milki
(maybe i'm mislead about XML and LUA purposes).

It's "Lua" not "LUA".

You have real issues with that, don't you? Something happened in your childhood? [grin]

Quote:
Original post by WanMaster
Quote:
Original post by phantom
Quote:
Original post by Milki

It's "Lua" not "LUA".

You have real issues with that, don't you? Something happened in your childhood? [grin]

Its very irritating to read though. On occasion I've seen people post "JAVA" too. You shouldn't really use an acronym unless you know what it stands for. The acronym "LUA" already has a bunch of uses.

Its OK for languages like BASIC.

Quote:
Original post by rip-off
Quote:
Original post by WanMaster
Quote:
Original post by phantom
Quote:
Original post by Milki

It's "Lua" not "LUA".

Its very irritating to read though. On occasion I've seen people post "JAVA" too. You shouldn't really use an acronym unless you know what it stands for. The acronym "LUA" already has a bunch of uses.

Its OK for languages like BASIC.

It's not very constructive. If either of you had offered a solution to his question and added that as an aside it might have been alright.

Anyway Milki if that doesn't work post here again and I'll fire up WOW :) and test what I wrote above.

This topic is 3456 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.