Noob array question

Started by
24 comments, last by Zahlman 15 years, 9 months ago
Vectors are not necessarily slow, but arrays are faster. Using a vector would make your program a little less error prone, as if you tried to go over the array index amount, you would be slapped with a buffer overflow.

So, as said above, i would go with a vector.
Advertisement
Speaking from almost no experience, I don't think std::vector is your problem. If you want to make your vector create enough space for however much you want at initialization, just do:

std::vector<int> myvec(1000);

which achieves the same effect as dynamically allocating an integer array of 1000. myvec.reserve(1000); does the same, except after initialization. Vector really makes things a lot easier, and if you have enough room in the capacity you've reserved, a push_back is no different from figuring out the next unused array index location and writing to it.
Quote:Original post by absolute
Are vectors generally better?

As a rule of thumb: In C++ always prefer std::vector.

Quote:Original post by absolute
Or is the difference between vector and array for computation speed not different?

These questions start to go away once you take time to examine what exactly std::vector is.

However in the meantime you can simply take our word for it that std::vector is as fast as an array. That is because std::vector is an array. A much safer one at that.

Further reading: Why should I use container classes rather than simple arrays?
Quote:Vectors are not necessarily slow, but arrays are faster.
How/why/when are (raw) arrays faster?
Quote: I have about 5 vectors as of right now holding, x/y positions, costs, etc ( all ints). I have to use push_back each time I add a new step to the path I'm finding ( can get quite large, in the hundreds at least).
push_back() always has the potential to be costly. The actual cost will depend on the circumstances and on the particular implementation being used, but if you're worried about it, there are approaches you can take that will minimize or eliminate the need for frequent calls to push_back(). (You should still use std::vector though; it almost certainly won't cost you anything, and you'll gain - among other things - automated clean-up of allocated resources, and at least the option of bounds-checking for debugging purposes.)
What about std::tr1::array or the same as boost::array
Quote:Original post by jyk

How: Using a Vector, you need to make a method call (1 cpu instruction "call") each time you want to add something to your Vector. push_back(), also has some extra overhead stuff it does such as incrementing counters, reallocing a new spot *each* time you push_back(). Then it will add what you want to the array.

Doing "myarray[1] = MyValue" is one cpu instruction "mov".

When: Always.

Why: Same has How.

As i said above, its fast, but not by much, but its there for an options if you want to save cpu calls, that is, if you want to sacrifice some managed security you get with a Vector.
Quote:Original post by lordcorm
Quote:Original post by jyk

How: Using a Vector, you need to make a method call (1 cpu instruction "call") each time you want to add something to your Vector.

If you are using operator[], it's no slower than a raw array (assuming normal implementation).
Quote:push_back(), also has some extra overhead stuff it does such as incrementing counters, reallocing a new spot *each* time you push_back(). Then it will add what you want to the array.

Yes, but that can't be considered to be slower than doing push_back on an array, because that operation doesn't even exist on arrays. Coding your own version is very likely to be slower than the std::vector implementation.
Quote:Doing "myarray[1] = MyValue" is one cpu instruction "mov".

Try doing that operation and then doing the same for a vector, using the same operator, and compile the code (with optimizations on, of course). Check the assembly code. I think you'll see that there aren't any differences. Note that if you are using Visual Studio, you'll first have to disable the Microsoft-specific extension that turns operator[] into function at(), which is slower.
Quote:When: Always.

There is only one instance where vector is slower than an array, and that is during initialization since vector always calls the constructors for allocated items while arrays don't. I have only ever seen that be a problem once, in an extremely specialized application.

-------------Please rate this post if it was useful.
[...] reallocing a new spot *each* time you push_back(). Then it will add what you want to the array.

I was under the impression that if you reserve()d enough from the start (or just passed a reserve size in the constructor) it wouldn't reallocate unless you went over the reserved amount.
Quote:Original post by Twisol
[...] reallocing a new spot *each* time you push_back(). Then it will add what you want to the array.

I was under the impression that if you reserve()d enough from the start (or just passed a reserve size in the constructor) it wouldn't reallocate unless you went over the reserved amount.

@Twisol

You're correct. In fact insertions actually run in amortized constant time, in spite of the buffer expansion that occurs when you exceed capacity. In regards to that I refer you again to the dynamic array data structure.
To get over the pointer-to-allocated-memory issue... why is it so much worse than std::vector ? The above implementation proposed by lordcorm, while longer, is still quite simple:

class Text{public:  Text (int size) : blah(new int[size]) {}private:  int* blah; };

However, it leaks memory, because that memory you allocate is never deallocated. Then, you have Twisol's proposal, which does not leak as much, but still creates problems when using the assignment operator or copy constructor:

class Text{    private:        int* blah;    public:        Text(int size) : blah(new int[size]) {}        ~Text() { delete [] blah; }};

A correct implementation would be:

class text{    private:        int* blah;        int size;        Text();        void swap(Text &other)        {          std::swap(blah, other.blah);          std::swap(size, other.size);        }    public:        Text(int size) : blah(new int[size]), size(size) {}        Text(const Text & other) : blah(new int[other.size]), size(other.size)        {          std::copy(other.blah, other.blah + other.size, blah);        }        Text &operator=(const Text &other)        {          Text temp(other);          temp.swap(*this);          return *this;        }        ~Text() { delete [] blah; }}

This is longer and harder to get right (on the other hand, it works sanely, never leaks memory and is exception-safe). Besides, it's also not optimal (though it could be optimized with some additional work). By contrast, std::vector is also shorter to write, and you run less risks of leaking memory by not paying attention.

Quote:Original post by Lordcorm
How: Using a Vector, you need to make a method call (1 cpu instruction "call") each time you want to add something to your Vector. push_back(), also has some extra overhead stuff it does such as incrementing counters, reallocing a new spot *each* time you push_back(). Then it will add what you want to the array.

Doing "myarray[1] = MyValue" is one cpu instruction "mov".

When: Always.

Why: Same has How.

Oh, please, don't be silly. This is like saying "gliders fly very slowly, therefore we should use bikes". Sure, appending elements to a vector does involve some overhead, but since one cannot append elements to an array, the comparison is utterly useless. Yes, vectors do it slowly and arrays don't do it at all, now can we move on to more significant comparisons?

As far as assigning elements, vectors are designed to be as fast as arrays (though you might have to do some compiler configuration to enable this). Also, you can get a pointer to the vector's contents and access those using the pointer, achieving performance equivalent to any other pointer-to-buffer approach you could imagine while still getting the memory management benefits.

As a side note, push_back does not allocate memory every time. Actually, the number of allocations is logarithmic in the number of insertions: inserting a thousand elements in an array will only take 10 allocations (even fewer if you reserved a reasonable amount ahead of time).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement