• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Winegums

OpenGL Rotations, translations, pops and pushes

This topic is 3771 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I'm trying to draw a quad in 3d space. I'm having problems getting it to place and orient itself correctly, and I think it's due to the order I'm performing the operations, or the push/pop stack.
void PlanePhysicsClass::Render()
{

float xRot = 90.0f - RADIAN_TO_DEGREE * acos(Dot(this->mNormal, Vector3(1.0f,0.0f,0.0f)));
	float yRot = 90.0f - RADIAN_TO_DEGREE * acos(Dot(this->mNormal, Vector3(0.0f,1.0f,0.0f)));
	float zRot = 90.0f - RADIAN_TO_DEGREE * acos(Dot(this->mNormal, Vector3(0.0f,0.0f,1.0f)));

mCorners[0].x = this->mPos.x - this->mExtents.x;
	mCorners[0].z = this->mPos.z - this->mExtents.y;
	mCorners[0].y = 0.0f;

mCorners[1].x = this->mPos.x - this->mExtents.x;
	mCorners[1].z = this->mPos.z + this->mExtents.y;
	mCorners[1].y = 0.0f;

mCorners[2].x = this->mPos.x + this->mExtents.x;
	mCorners[2].z = this->mPos.z + this->mExtents.y;
	mCorners[2].y = 0.0f;

mCorners[3].x = this->mPos.x + this->mExtents.x;
	mCorners[3].z = this->mPos.z - this->mExtents.y;
	mCorners[3].y = 0.0f;
////
	glPushMatrix();
		//glRotatef(xRot, 1.0f,0.0f,0.0f);
		//glRotatef(yRot, 0.0f,1.0f,0.0f);
		//glRotatef(zRot, 0.0f,0.0f,1.0f);
		glTranslatef(this->mPos.x, this->mPos.y, this->mPos.z);
		glBegin(GL_QUADS);												// Start Drawing Quads
			glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f(mCorners[0].x, mCorners[0].y, mCorners[0].z);	// Point 1 (Back)
			glTexCoord2f(1.0f, 1.0f); glVertex3f(mCorners[1].x, mCorners[1].y, mCorners[1].z);	// Point 2 (Back)
			glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 1.0f); glVertex3f(mCorners[2].x, mCorners[2].y, mCorners[2].z);	// Point 3 (Back)
			glTexCoord2f(0.0f, 0.0f); glVertex3f(mCorners[3].x, mCorners[3].y, mCorners[3].z);	// Point 4 (Back)
		glEnd();
	glPopMatrix();

}

I'm not sure on the order of translation, rotation, and push/pop. If I have any rotations in there at all it seems to displace the object strangely (I initially thought the collision detection code was wrong, but my current line of reasoning leads me to think I'm rendering it in the wrong place). Should I rotate then translate? Or translate then rotate? Does it even matter (I know it does in matrix maths on paper, but I don't know if GL behaves differently)? What about push/pop? (I did originally post a predecessor to this problem in the maths & physics section, but I think the current problem is more OpenGL related than mathematics. I apologise if this is considered as cross posting)

Advertisement
I have a separate function in itself that builds the quard and stuffs it into the a display list inside the class so then inside your render all I'd do is:
1) bind any textures you may have
2) push matrix
3) do translations
4) do my rotations
5) call the display list ( glCallList( m_nDisplayList );
6) pop matrix

I hope this helps

Your OpenGL functions are correct, but is there an out-side source maybe causing the problem? May we see the entire drawScene() (or whatever you named it ;p ) code? Oh, and you would use glTranslatef() then glRotatef(). When you rotate, you are changing the x,y,z axis. So when you translate along the new axis, you'll end up going where you didn't mean to go visually. So when you translate on the default axis (either 0, 0, 0, or 1, 1, 1) you'll end up on the spot you most likely meant to go. Then when you rotate, it won't alter the axis. Maybe a picture will help:

Translating then rotating...
http://jerome.jouvie.free.fr/images/OpenGl/Lessons/Lesson2-TranslationRotation.png

Rotating then translating...
http://jerome.jouvie.free.fr/images/OpenGl/Lessons/Lesson2-RotationTranslation.png

I hope I've helped some!

int DrawGLScene() // Here's Where We Do All The Drawing
{
glClear(GL_COLOR_BUFFER_BIT | GL_DEPTH_BUFFER_BIT); // Clear The Screen And The Depth Buffer
glLoadIdentity(); // Reset The View

myCamera->SetPrespective();

aSphere->Render();
aPlane->Render();
aPlane2->Render();

ResolveInput(anInputManager->GetKeyboardState(), anInputManager->GetMouseState());
TextOutput();

anInputManager->ClearKeys();
return TRUE;
}

aSphere->Render()

void SpherePhysicsClass::Render()
{
glPushMatrix();
glBindTexture(GL_TEXTURE_2D, NULL);
glTranslatef(this->mPos.x, this->mPos.y, this->mPos.z);
gluSphere(mQuadratic, mRadius, 15, 15);
glPopMatrix();
}

Quote:
Original post by Winegums
Should I rotate then translate? Or translate then rotate? Does it even matter (I know it does in matrix maths on paper, but I don't know if GL behaves differently)? What about push/pop?

Read this, especially the section Thinking About Transformations.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!