Learning a language... no problem... but what now?

Started by
24 comments, last by Angidmench 15 years, 9 months ago
Ok so I've recently been getting into programming, I've pretty much learnt the basic use of Python and a bit of Java. I have 2 years of experience scripting for a program in Java that used Java scripts to carry out functions, but I almost always followed some other script for guidance and just changed stuff around. So anyway, learning a language isnt the problem for me, but the problem is... I just dont know what to do... I need some help, some guidance; Where do I start? What do I do next? What skills are necessary for game development? All I know is you need some one to code, and some one to make 3D models and animations but thats it. I really need help if im willing to pursue my dream. Im also pretty lost about what language to use, I know I want it to be cross platform as I use both Mac and PC. Thanks in advance. EDIT: This is my second post, my first one being similar, but didnt get me any help really.
Advertisement
I think you forgot one thing: the language is not the goal, just the tool. You learned the language to create a game with it. So you better ask yourself: "Which game do I want to create (now that I have some skills)?".
People will tell you to program a little Pong, Arkanoid, Tetris or text-based games and the likes first. That way you have a well laid out game idea already and don't need to be too creative. Also these games are simple, so you won't get lost in details. But still, you need to be able to make the idea real.

Afterwards you'll probably want to create a sidescroller or similar, the possibilities are endless, really. Look at some Super Nintendo/SEGA Mega Drive games to find out which game type you like the most!

...and always have a cheesy smile while doing the above. :P
Hehe, yes I do understand... the language is only the tool.

But my main question is where do I go next. I know I should be making games like PONG etc, but how? Where exactly do I go?

I have no idea what kinds of tools to use. What exactly ARE libraries? How do I use them? What should I be looking for?

All these questions remain unanswered to me, even after weeks of googling and what not =/

Thanks for your reply, however.
Quote:Original post by Malduster
Where do I start? What do I do next? What skills are necessary for game development?

Just keep learning stuff. Keep making stuff. When you think you're ready, you're almost there.
Quote:EDIT: This is my second post, my first one being similar, but didnt get me any help really.

Sorry we failed you last time, but we ain't got no magic to give you this time either. You need to dig deep, work hard at researching this stuff, take classes, read, experiment, do. The magic has to be in you if there's any to be had at all.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Thanks Tom Sloper, some inspiration always helps :)

The only problem is I cant seem to get my answers questioned, not even the great google has been much help. Most tutorials I read assume I know everything!

Anyway, im still practicing more Python, I want it to STICK to me reeeeeaaaaal good.
Tom Sloper has a nice website but I'm sure he will be by to post it. To answer some of your questions:

-What language should I use?
This is up to you. You can make games in almost any language. Currently I use C++ and SDL and will be moving to OpenGL for 3D. After I am comfortable with those I will learn Direct X and who knows from there.

-Also, you asked what skills are necessary to develop games.
Well, what part do you want to do? I like to do all parts but my projects are sized accordingly. Do you plan on working alone? Or part of a bigger team?

EDIT: WOW I was way slow. I paused this post for 30 min while I worked and theres 4 replies lol.
Haha :D Well i understand you can make a game in just about any language, but im just confused about libraries and what not...

Anyway, I plan on working alone, mainly because im not a very good communicator. Also I hate others doing their best and me ending up not liking it and having to tell them to change it, just dont want to go through all that nonsense. I might get one or two good friends to work with me, but thats it.
I really cant talk to you about Java as I briefly played with it and don't know much about the language but here is some suggestions if you were to go the C++ route:

Get these books:
-Game Programming Through C++
-Accelerated C++
-Data Structures for Game Programmers
-Focus on SDL

Now, the top two books I would honestly use hand in hand. One may confuse you, so then hop to the other, then hop back. This is the approach I take when learning programming and it works great for me YMMV.

The bottom two books, same thing. I really like the way Data Structures shows you SDL but I also like Focus on SDL. They are two different style of books. SDL is one of the tools you can use for graphics. Lazyfoo.net also has good tutorials on these.

This process will not be as long as it looks because you already know a lot the programming concepts. I usually set myself a goal of 1 chapter from 2 books each night. (The C++ books I am through, now I am in the SDL books). I can display graphics on the screen, do collision detection, move sprites around etc. I am learning a lot.
First, pick a language that you feel most comfortable with and stick with it.
It's better to learn one language very well than knowing dozens of languages you don't know quite as well. Once you've learned one language, it's easy to pick up on others.

I don't know much about Python or Java. But as far as portability, personally, I would pick Java because you don't need to even recompile it when running on different platforms. But that's just my opinion, whichever you feel most comfortable is best.

Then, get a book that teaches the basics and details of that language. Some books teach you the basics of programming (algorithms, data structures, object-oriented design) while teaching the language. Find those if you can, but if you can't, make sure you get one and learn it well.

Don't worry too much about the graphics programming right away. You can't program graphics without knowing how to program. Take it one step at a time and learn the language first.
Thank you Chrono and Electrons. Both of you have been much help.

First to reply to Electrons, Yes I agree with you... sticking to a language that some one is comfortable with is a major step in programming, i tried Java and didnt really like it much...

Anyway, C++ is just too hard for me... for now atleast... im sticking to Python.

So I guess an SDL or whatever is used to make the graphics and what not (yes im sounding like a noob :P)

Anyway, I again appreciate the replies.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement