Sign in to follow this  

Communication with server

This topic is 3462 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm trying to connect to a web server and retrieve the html document from it by using the sample from Ultimate Game Programming: http://www.ultimategameprogramming.com/zips/Cpp_SimpleTextBrowser.ZIP But when I try to run it, it's not working. I receive -1 when trying to receive the data. Could someone tell me what's wrong? I'm using Microsoft Visual C++ 2003 when compiling it.

put a break point in the start of the code and step through it, see if you can follow what is happening, it will probably show you where the fault lies.\

I did that, and I saw that the received bytes is -1. Which means that the receive method didn't work. The connection seems to work, but I don't receive any data.

The application is sending "GET / HTTP/1.0\n\n" to the web server, and then receives data from the server. But it looks like the server don't send anything back. Is the command "GET / HTTP/1.0\n\n" still correct way to receive HTML data?

Quote:
Original post by RandomPixel
Is the command "GET / HTTP/1.0\n\n" still correct way to receive HTML data?
No. You need \r\n, not \n. And most servers will need a Host: parameter. I always send:

GET / HTTP/1.0\r\n
Host: www.gamedev.net\r\n
\r\n

This topic is 3462 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.