Sign in to follow this  

Help - Visual Studio distribution

This topic is 3455 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi! I'm in Visual Studio 2005 and I've made this win32-application that I wanna send to my friend (they don't have Visual Studio installed). So I found this TXT-file (redist.txt) in my VS-folder but I can't really understand to well what it is that i need to do for it to work! Can anyone help me out? Thank you in advance!

Assuming you don't want to deal with a full installer, just direct them to the Visual Studio Redistributable Package (Or whatever one matches the version of Visual Studio you're using), or send them the vcredist_x86.exe file if you have it (I don't think the Express version of Visual Studio has it included, or if it does, it might be an optional installation).

And make sure you build a Release build of the EXE.

Thank you for the quick answer!

Quote:
Original post by Evil Steve
Assuming you don't want to deal with a full installer

What does full installer mean? It sounds very good!

Quote:
And make sure you build a Release build of the EXE.

of course!

Quote:
Original post by Oddrose
What does full installer mean? It sounds very good!
I mean using something like InstallShield, or some other "professional" installer. Promit made a Journal Entry about installers recently, although I'm not really sure how relevant it is for C++ EXE distributions.

Okay, thanks!

I'm sure that the above method works, but isn't there any way that I can include all the necessary files in my .exe somehow? So that the user don't have to install the vcredist_x86.exe. It isn't very user friendly!

Thank you in advance!

A little update!

All I had to do was to put the folder, C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\redist\x86\Microsoft.VC80.CRT and the 4 files in that folder in my release folder.

It worked perfectly!
No installation or anything needed for the user!

This topic is 3455 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.