Sign in to follow this  

Is learning different languages good?

This topic is 3458 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi I personally enjoy starting new languages, but according to what I read in another thread, it's best to choose one and stick to it. Would I end up getting confused in the future, if I took a few languages at the same time? Thanks in advance

It's best to choose one and become proficient with it. But it's not sufficient. A competent developer will probably have an arsenal of at least half a dozen languages he's comfortable with, and will be expanding that as much as possible. Frankly, I'd say that anyone who isn't proficient in at least three or four significantly dissimilar languages is basically incompetent.

If you don't know any languages, pick one and learn it well.

Once you learn your first language, learn several others, ideally founded on different programming paradigms (i.e., learn a procedural language, an OO language, a functional language, etc).

If you're relatively new to programming, trying to learn several languages at once may be confusing, but once you have some experience under your belt learning new languages is a good thing.

Learn to program. That practically requires you to learn a syntax to program with. Once you learn to program pretty well, and get some program design under your belt then other languages become beneficial. Before that point, they may (depending on the person) be too difficult to learn efficiently or you're too inexperienced to really grasp some of the benefits/nuances.

But yes. Quite good once you get out of the beginning stages.

Quote:
I personally enjoy starting new languages, but according to what I read in another thread, it's best to choose one and stick to it.
As a beginner, it’s best to form a very good foundation in one single language. You will struggle to develop as a programmer if you aren’t very good in a language. Furthermore, being able to effectively use a language requires a certain amount of time and experience with it.

Quote:
Would I end up getting confused in the future, if I took a few languages at the same time?
You would. Learn one language at a time. But do intend to learn, as Promit said, different languages. Save it for the future when you can comfortable write programs in at least one language.

I've mainly worked with C#.
So your saying for me to learn one language at time, right?
But how do I know if I've had enough of one language and I'm ready to start another?

I would say learning new paradigms is more important than learning new languages. You should probably try to pick a main language since becoming really good in one language will generally take a long time. You know when you're done with that language as far as proficiency goes when you're not learning anything new.

I would try to learn all the stages of what goes into a computer though:

1. Maths (Welcome to school)

2. Theory of computation

3. Physics

4. Analog electronics

5. Digital electronics

6. Modern CPU design

7. X86 and M68k assembly

8. As many data structures and algorithms as you possibly can

9. C

10. Compiler theory

11. Ada

12. Prolog

13. Haskell

14. Software engineering

15. C++

16. Work on open source projects, contribute and share with others. Be open to critique, there's no faster way to gain experience than by being taught. the quick proliferation of knowledge through social interactions is what separates us from most animals. You should have plenty of free time as a student.

17. C# or Java (Welcome to the work force, enjoy your stay)

18. Keep getting aquainted with new technologies that you apply in order to solve tasks.

19. Every 5 - 10 years learn whatever technology is up and coming and make that your livelihood.

Looking back this feels like a somewhat solid approach. I would say you should be able to go in one end and come out the other in about 8-12 years depending on talent level. You'll have to learn a lot of intermediate technologies like XML, SQL and so on in order to solve your tasks at work. This is probably more of a recipe for a computer engineer than a computer scientist. If anyone wants to add more steps please do, I need it for my army of mad computer engineers I'm creating.

Quote:
Original post by Promit
It's best to choose one and become proficient with it. But it's not sufficient. A competent developer will probably have an arsenal of at least half a dozen languages he's comfortable with, and will be expanding that as much as possible. Frankly, I'd say that anyone who isn't proficient in at least three or four significantly dissimilar languages is basically incompetent.

Dissimilar? So I guess Lua (imperative/procedural), C# (object-oriented), and Scheme (functional), wouldn't cut it?

For C# I would say when you have used the following in non-trivial projects (most games will do - maybe not pong) - and can argue why you used what where:

Object oriented programming:
- encapsulation
- inheritance
- composition
- design patterns

Delegates and events:
- event based programming
- first class functions
- caption of variables from the outer scope

Copying/passing semantics:
- by reference
- by value
- when are they equivalent?

The list is by no means complete, but it's a start. By then you will probably have mastered the less interesting things such as syntax and other pecularities of C#.

EDIT: Oh, and in my opinion, you can skip 3, 4, 5 and 6 of asp_ and not miss it at all, as long as you stick to software. And his list of languages is pretty arbitrary; just learn an object oriented language (C# is fine), a functional language (ML or Haskell probably), a declarative language (SQL is useful), and maybe a logical language (Prolog will do).

Quote:
Original post by Alpha_ProgDes
Quote:
Original post by Promit

Dissimilar? So I guess Lua (imperative/procedural), C# (object-oriented), and Scheme (functional), wouldn't cut it?
I'd say C, C++, and C# are "different enough", but C# and Java aren't, if that makes sense.

Quote:
Original post by Promit
Quote:
Quote:
Original post by Promit

I'd say C, C++, and C# are "different enough", but C# and Java aren't, if that makes sense.

C = procedural
C++ = multi-paradigm
C# = OOP
Java = OOP

That's a gross oversimplification but I get it. Thanks.

Quote:
Original post by Promit
Quote:
Quote:
Original post by Promit

Hm. When I hear "dissimilar languages" I think something like C++ vs Haskell or Haskell vs Prolog. Oh well...

This topic is 3458 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.