Creating a text-based game,

Started by
28 comments, last by Robert James Saunders 11 years, 2 months ago
Ok, I'm a noob, I've no clue on programming games. I was wondering if there was anybody out there who would guide me through the creation of a text based game? Maybe via I.M. or something? If so please P.M. me or add me to MSN unwantedminority@hotmail.co.uk Cheers.
Advertisement
I can't personally help you with that, but the C++ Workshop has some great projects that might be exactly what you want to try.
I'm a complete newbie... Those titles mean jack to me and I have no clue where to start! :(
I suggest getting a good book on a programming language of your choice then. C++ is supposedly tough to learn, but I had no problem with it myself. I think (in my opinion) C# is a good language to learn at the start too. Online tutorials can be good, but usually books are better. "Thinking in C++" is an online, downloadable book though, and it's great, although I wouldn't say best for a new programmer.
So you think something like C+ for dummies or something like that will be enough? I'd consider myself fairly intelligent... I picked up HTML in about half an hour.
A book I liked when I was figuring at the basic was. "C++ Without Fear" In my opinion it was a pretty decent book.
I'd just take a trip to a local Barnes' & Nobles' or Borders bookstore and see what they have. Leaf through any books you find that might interest you to make sure you're getting what you want, some books might not go over some stuff, or do advanced stuff you don't want yet, etc.

The C++ Workshop I mentioned uses "Learn C++ In 30 Days" or some such book, if you're interested in following along with that you can look at the Introduction thread in the workshop.

EDIT: I actually own the book monp mentioned, it is a pretty decent book. It has exercises at the end of each chapter, which is a plus for me!
I found "C++ For Dummies" satisfactory, and I'm not (really) a dummy either. The author's smart-mouth remarks occasionally obscure the point he's trying to make but thats generally not a problem. When you're done, though, make sure you read up on STL and the boost libraries (that'll make sense later). He doesn't really give STL justice, but then you couldn't if you had the whole book, and it only gets a chapter. But it gets the basics of programming across without really delving into all the icky parts of C++. You can check it out at the library, and if you don't like it no harm done.
Ok thanks mate... I might need help as to where to go after that though :o
In all honesty I would suggest picking up a beginner book on C# where it starts you with some console programs like Beginning C# by Wrox Publishing. They will teach out about input and output and then the rest of the C# language. I suggest it because it is alot easier to start with C# then C++ because you don't have to worry about some of the annoying quirks it has. Also you can get a free C# IDE at MSDN. Since you are new to programming I think it would be easier for you to pick up on. With all the basics of programming down I think you would have no trouble implementing a text based single player game. My first game I ever did was Tic Tac Toe in a console window with C++ however, if C# was out then I think it would have been alot simpler.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement