• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
steenreem

problem defining = operator

This topic is 3772 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hey. From the code it is easy to see what I'm trying to do. But this isn't working! I get the error: " C:\Users\Remy\Documents\CPP Enterprise game\geometry.h|43|error: no match for 'operator=' in '((Rect*)this)->Rect::start = (((Vector2D*)operator new(16u)), (<anonymous>->Vector2D::Vector2D(), <anonymous>))" Code: class Vector2D { public: double x; double y; public: Vector2D& operator= (const Vector2D& param) { x=param.x; y=param.y; return *this; } }; class Rect { public: Vector2D start; Vector2D end; Rect() {start = new Vector2D(); end = new Vector2D();} };

Advertisement
Because new returns pointers to Vector2D's, but you have full objects, not pointers. This is unrelated to operator=().

C++ uses value semantics: the members are created when the object is created. The default constructor, as well as the default assignment operator, already do what you need. Therefore, you could simply write:

struct Vector2D
{
double x;
double y;
};

struct Rect
{
Vector2D start;
Vector2D end;
};

I changed "class Foo { public:" to "struct Foo {" because it's shorter.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!