• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
OpenGL_Guru

[java] curious and using Java with OpenGL

This topic is 3821 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

i am interested in looking into using java and openGL with Swing using JOGL. i have some questions about the maturity of this so maybe someone could tell me generally speaking how mature it is as far as being able to leverage all the opengl capabilties without java causing weird bugs, errors etc etc? in other words in my mind i am thinking is there any limitations or weird things i should expect? is the state machine nature of OpenGL going to run into problems with the programming paradigm in Java? also the last release i have been able to find is from September of 2003 and for Java 1.4 when i am now using java 1.5 or java 1.6. was wondering if this made any difference or how much difference? im sure i will have more questions. thanks for the info in advance!

Advertisement
I'd recommend LWJGL instead of Jogl, it's better supported and tends to be considerably more reliable (especially on older or more obscure hardware). In particular you'll want to look at AwtGlCanvas, which lets you embed an OpenGL display inside a AWT or Swing GUI.

Other than making sure to do all your drawing in the correct paintGL() callback, everything works as you'd expect.

Depending on what you want to do, I would recommend looking into jMonkeyEngine. That is if you want to make a 3D game with Java that leverages OpenGL. But if you are looking to do complex things with OpenGL then I'd stick with LWJGL personally.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!