• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
steveworks

How do you know your ready?

This topic is 3768 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I have been learning to program in Python for a while and one question I keep wondering is wheather I'm ready or not to move on to using a GUI. How do you tell if you know enough to move on? I'm sorry if i'm vague but I cannt really put it in other words. If you need info from me please ask but if someone has a list of skills or what I need to be able to do effectively before I move on it would help.

Advertisement
Develop a GUI application.

If you fail, you're not ready.

In educational setting, you'd be faced with a test of sorts, which would determine whether you are supposedly ready. Without some external criteria however, the only way to know is to try and do.

Here's a simple test: What will be first thing you will do when developing a GUI application?

I wonder what's the problem here. GUI programming is pretty easy. Many people started programming with VisualBasic, a GUI centric programming language. In effect, all you need to know is how to define a GUI, bind the buttons and other controls to your event handlers and update the data display.

Quote:
Original post by steveworks
I have been learning to program in Python for a while and one question I keep wondering is wheather I'm ready or not to move on to using a GUI. How do you tell if you know enough to move on?

I'm sorry if i'm vague but I cannt really put it in other words. If you need info from me please ask but if someone has a list of skills or what I need to be able to do effectively before I move on it would help.

My rule of thumb is this:

Would you be completely lost at sea if I gave you a single function at your disposal:

drawpixel(x,y, color)

which does the obvious thing, draws the pixel at coordinate x,y in the color specified, and I then asked you to render, say, a frame from your game.

Of course, if that's the only function you had available, it'd be a ton of work to actually *do* this. But it works as a thought experiment. If you had this one function, knew what you wanted to render, and had plenty of time at your disposal, would you know how to achieve this goal?
After all, none of that is graphics- or gui-specific. It's just the underlying logic you have to deal with. It's just programming. How to figure out which pixels to draw when?

Which is basically what my "test" boils down to. Do you see GUI programming as, well, magic that you can't even imagine how to produce in your own code? Or is it just a matter of calling the right GUI-drawing functions at the right time?

If you feel you could at least get started on such a task, go ahead and start on GUI apps (and of course, use the proper tools available to you, not this one made-up function [grin])

[Edited by - Spoonbender on June 26, 2008 5:14:46 PM]

You are ready. Doing things that make you feel uncomfortable are the only way to grow as a programmer.

Quote:
Original post by bgilman
You are ready. Doing things that make you feel uncomfortable are the only way to grow as a programmer.

It's the only way to grow in life. Leaving your comfort zone and exploring the parts outside of it, are ways to build skills.

Toolmaker

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!