• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
zeeshanzia84

Easy 3D Morphing technique : ideas? or references/papers?

This topic is 3820 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi everyone, I am trying to develop a C++ program that can automatically morph between two 3D meshes. I will be using it only for somewhat similar looking models; like for morphing between two cups of slightly different shapes, or for morphing between two animal models. I want it to be automatic. I have already implemented an algorithm for automatic Registration (aligning) of the two models with each other (as well as scaling, so that they are more or less the same size); so the already-aligned models should eliminate the need for any user input. Now, I need a morphing algorithm that can morph between the two given models automatically, or atleast semi-automatically. Has anyone of you done this before? Any easy to understand references/papers? I am trying to implement the algorithm in a paper titled 'Shape Transformation for Polyhedral Objects' by Kent....but the explaination given is very poor. So, I want something else. Any ideas?

Advertisement
Look into paper's on parametization. You'll need to parametize both meshes before you can morph between the two. You'll probably still want to include some tools for adjusting the parameterization by the artist.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!