• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
scipio33

In-game interface question

This topic is 3799 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I've been designing a space simulation that borrows a lot from star trek the next generation. Recently I've been designing how the user interface works. This basically constitutes how the player interacts with the ship's computer on the ship. My plan is to have the ship's computer have its own operating system (like LCARS in star trek). I want to have an interface that allows players to easily customize the computer for different tasks. I plan to have it where players can create their own interface screens in-game, and write their own scripts for doing different tasks. I want the computer interface to have the following. I call these the basic GUI elements of the computer system: 1.) buttons 2.) a generic document viewer 3.) a spreadsheet like screen whose cells can contain readouts of variables 4.) graphs 5.) sliders that can control the values of variables 6.) pull-down menus 7.) text input fields 8.) 3-D viewscreens that allow viewing 3-d scenes (like outside the ship) 9.) 2-D viewscreens that allow for viewing 2-d scenes Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I should go about creating this interface? Does anybody think it will be very difficult to impossible to do. I've been designing the game for a while on paper now, but the user interface is something I want to test out to make sure I'm making a good one. I think the gameplay I have designed is good, but I can't really know how good my ideas for the user interface are unless I see it in action. Since all the other gameplay depends on the interface, I want to make sure the interface is intuitive to use but gives players a lot of customizability. --Scipio33

Advertisement
I don't know how well this would lend itself, considering the amount of time they should be spending on the game itself.

I wouldn't take it too far, but a bit of customising might be good. Something like colour themes for the 'OS', having each screen consist of 'dockable' windows so the user can place each component of their screens to their own layout.

If you're going to incorporate the universe's information into a computer file/database based system, you could probably have a very simple file system or file-view like Windows Explorer. Ability to save documents or galactic news articles into pages as 'files' on the ship's computer.

The main reason you wouldn't want to go all out of a 100% customisable ship OS is that you need to make the gameplay the main attraction.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!