Finally stepping above console window-based projects... advice requested.

Started by
4 comments, last by Angidmench 15 years, 10 months ago
I'm going to write a text-based game for learning purposes... but thinking about adding SFX, 3D text and moving text, and maybe a few 2D images and sprites, to make the game a little less static. I have basic understanding of C# syntax already, so what should I go into, in order to make this game? Should I learn DirectX? XNA? OpenGL? Any advice would be helpful. Or would you recommend Windows form boiler plate, and controls that come with the C# IDE? One thing is, that the user has to be able to input text, into the window... this should be no problem with any of those SDKs, right? Thanks in advance for any help.
Advertisement
Start with XNA. It will be easiest for you to use.
Quote:Original post by oler1s
Start with XNA. It will be easiest for you to use.

Thanks, I might try that.
I think I understand how to draw text to screen with XNA;
But how would I create a textbox for the player to input text commands?
Anyone know a tutorial on this?

Or do I just get the incoming text from keyboard, store it to a string, and draw it on the screen?
Everything you described can be done with C# and winforms but you probably want want to use XNA since Microsoft has already provided some boilerplate code for you.
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Granted, I haven't delved too far into either XNA or WinForms, but I remembered running across a tutorial before that was specifically about embedding XNA inside a winform. Anyway, here's a link, glean from it what you will :)

XNA link action

Also, I now know, googling "XNA and Winforms" returns all manner of tutorials and articles.

Hazard Pay :: FPS/RTS in SharpDX (gathering dust, retained for... historical purposes)
DeviantArt :: Because right-brain needs love too (also pretty neglected these days)

Quote:Original post by BCullis
Granted, I haven't delved too far into either XNA or WinForms, but I remembered running across a tutorial before that was specifically about embedding XNA inside a winform. Anyway, here's a link, glean from it what you will :)

XNA link action

Also, I now know, googling "XNA and Winforms" returns all manner of tutorials and articles.

Wow that is incredible. Didn't realize you could embed XNA window into a windows form.
I guess that makes this game project way too easy now. Thank you!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement