• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Si1ence

Some questions before I can start

This topic is 3704 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi there, I'd like to create a game and hope I can get some advices here on how to start with it. Before I start to describe what I want to do here's what I'm capable of: I am no beginner, programming languages I have worked with include C/C++, Java and C#. Some experience with java script, php and very little with python. Like most programmers I've tried to create some mini games before (bomberman, 2D shooters, that stuff) but I've never worked with a real game engine, DirectX, OpenGL or so. And now to my plans: Simply said I want to create a Diablo-like game. But although I've searched the internet for a time I'm not sure what language I should use or what engine. I'm not afraid of using C or C++, but if the performance won't suffer too much I would prefer a higher level language like Java, C# or Python. The next question is: 3D or 2D? Like in Diablo the user looks on the game at an angle of 45° - so there should be at least 8 directions the player can go (up, down, left, right, up-right, down-right, up-left, down-left) That means 8 images for 1 player figure. But because I want the player to be highly customizable (different armors, weapons) that would mean I have to draw each piece of armor, each weapon 8 times - so long as there are no tricks I don't know. Using 3D objects would sound more reasonable, but creating them is far more complex compared to drawing some images I think. Lighting, shadows and such stuff would be nice too... Creating the game mainly in 3D sounds too complex somehow - Diablo isn't 3D after all. On the other side I don't want to learn "dead" techniques and therefor I've created this thread - to get some advices on what would be the best way to create the game. PS: Forgive me my bad English - I'm still learning it ;) PS2: the goal of the project is to gain experience with the matter - I know I won't become rich and famous with my game ;)

Advertisement
Use the language you are most comfortable and productive in. For Diablo, most language could probably manage it [smile]

The 2D/3D question is up to you - are you going to make all the assets yourself, or are you going to find someone to do it for you? If the former, pick whatever you think is manageable. If the latter, then it is your budget that makes the decision (or not, if you find a kind soul willing to donate time to your project).

Finally, just because you render it in 3D doesn't mean the game itself is in 3D. The game logic could still be written as if it were a 2D game.

Hey Si1ence,

I feel your pain. One way to make 2d content without having to hand-draw 8 different images for each item and character pose, is to create the item or character in 3d (using max/maya/blender/etc), texture it, and then render 8 different images of it from the 8 different angles (even render a detailed close-up for the intentory or portrait icon!). It works for the typical quality of a do-it-yourself 2d game.

Thank you for your responses!

Can you recommend me a 3D game / graphics engine?
If the map remains mainly flat there won't be so much collision detection code to create and coordinates, path finding etc. can be done with 2D logic I think.
(I've come to the conclusion that 2D is no option... your approach sounds good AgentX, but if I have to create 3D models I can use them right away I think)

If I have to use c/c++ I would use Ogre atm.
Or I'd learn python and use pyogre.
But if you tell me that SDL is better I would use that instead, or if those C#/java wrappers for SDL are performant enough I could use them and start right away and need not learn python :)

I have a suggestion. You could use placeholder art during at least the major development phase.

A very good example of free art, that you can use with your game..
http://reinerstileset.4players.de/englisch.html -- Most of these are 2D isometric.

Of course, those won't have everything you want probably, and if you decide to go commercial -- You'll probably want to make new graphics later. Just a suggestion, give it some thought.

As for engines, XNA seems to be the big hype right now for C# independent programmers and hobbyists alike. They basically have starter kits, videos, and even books on how to make almost any type of XNA game.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!