Infinately small, help...

Started by
13 comments, last by Raghar 15 years, 9 months ago
I want to represent a number that is infinately small in an eqation: F=(kq1q2)/r^2 You probably recognize the electric force of charge formula. So I want to replace r^2 with infinately small symbol. Is there such a thing? F=(kq1q2)/(infinately small)
Advertisement
How about 'dx'? It's often used in Calculus as the variable of integration, and it's meant to be "infinitely small".
Are you talking about possibly using an ascii character in your code? Seems like an enum value can be used here.
It's not for code. I'm creating physics equations and want to write them correctly, therefor ansi codes efficiant

I intend to show them to other people and would like them to be professional.

Thanks Much,

Devin
For something infinitely small, why not just use "1 / ∞"? This would of course mean your equation simplified to (kq1q2) * ∞

Regards,
ViLiO
Richard 'ViLiO' Thomasv.net | Twitter | YouTube
I think you are looking for this:

F = lim ( ( k * q1 * q2 ) / n^2 )
n->0

What is the context though? taking limits can often cause real problems, and this case is a strong example. In what circumstances does the limit exist? What values of k, q1, and q2 is F defined for? If you can't answer this ( not so simple ) question, then you are out of your depth.
Clearly dividing by 0 is not defined, and that is what you are asking to do.

Mathematically, if you intend for merely an arbitrarily small value, then this would be better:

There exists a small epsilon > 0, such that F = ( k * q1 * q2 ) / epsilon^2

which is obviously valid for all k, q1 and q2.

Another point to bear in mind is that many physical formulae do not hold for r -> 0. So what you are trying to deduce may well be false. If you provide me with more context, I will try and help some more.

Mathmo
Thanks for your help guys. I need to do some serious thinking to figure out which is right for this application.

Again, thanks.
Quote:Original post by devronious
I want to represent a number that is infinately small in an eqation:

F=(kq1q2)/r^2

You probably recognize the electric force of charge formula. So I want to replace r^2 with infinately small symbol. Is there such a thing?

F=(kq1q2)/(infinately small)

If r is a distance, then it can't be infinitelly small. Even if you'd permit a computer simulation to have both things on the same place, the resulting vector MUST point out of coordinate space. Thus it's irrelevant.
It would be a lot easier to provide help if you could give some more details about what you are trying to do.
Raghar,

I'm not sure what you mean. Can you explain?

Maze Master,

I'm trying to create a formula a=b/c where c can become infinately small so that a can be infinitely large. b/c is important and must be b/c and no other math relationship. Does such a thing exist?

-Devin

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement