Christian Morals.....

Started by
554 comments, last by sEntiEnt 22 years, 10 months ago
Justification for it''s Existance

One Question

One Answer

Those pretty much sum up my view of religion.

I was almost booted from a Calvinist mailing list for the last one. With the first one I just had a lot of explaining to do.

Ben
The Rabbithole

Advertisement
quote:Original post by Roach
And Myopic - are we getting leniant with these religious posts? I though no religion allowed!! (not that I''m complaining!)

I''m testing the waters. The reason these topics are closed is because historically they''ve led to flame wars. The last thread on religion, however, stayed at the discussion level for the most part. If topics like religion can be discussed maturely all the time, I''ll probably lift the ban.
quote:
Vetinari:
I stated that this was "publicly accesible". I chose those words carefully, and I never mentioned anything approaching legal issues. Im simply stating that it SHOULDNT be closed simply because it is of religious nature. That does not mean that the moderator cant do what they want with ANY post that comes here.

Whether what you said was technically correct or not, it was misleading and unclear. By ''voilation'', you are implying doing somehting wrong. Whether it ''should'' be closed or not is really a matter of opinion. You will be hard pressed to find many people more for freedom of expression than me, but what the moderators choose to do is completely their perogative.

quote:
At any rate, what I said beyond that was more substantive. You should be more concerned w/ that.

So what''s up with your fetish with telling people how they ''should'' think? I''ll be concerned with what I damn well want to be concerned with. I found the rest of your post to be like the start, ramblings of a lunatic. The whole point of religion is to believe your god is correct and the rest are not. If the bible is clear on anything, it is very clear on this. If you are Chistian but don''t believe their is only one God and He is the one, you are not much of a Christian. Sorry, but this is pretty fundamental to the religion. One can believe their god is the only god w/o being intolerant of others.

Mike
"Unintentional death of one civilian by the US is a tragedy; intentional slaughter of a million by Saddam - a statistic." - Unknown
From Myopic:

"I''m testing the waters. The reason these topics are closed is because historically they''ve led to flame wars. The last thread on religion, however, stayed at the discussion level for the most part. If topics like religion can be discussed maturely all the time, I''ll probably lift the ban."

Myopic: How true, and its unfortunate that right after that reply, someone posts a fairly immature and insulting, and not very logical post in attempt to get me in a flame war with him. Im not bitting. I would not blame you if you banned this thread at this point.. And it was going so well. I not only agreed with everyone, but everyone was at least civil until the last post I just saw.. How sad.

And, Vetinari:

"The whole point of religion is to believe your god is correct and the rest are not. If the bible is clear on anything, it is very clear on this. If you are Chistian but don''t believe their is only one God and He is the one, you are not much of a Christian. "

This is the problem, and the first sentence is so completely false that I think it actually made me chuckle when I read it. The nice thing is you actually wrote, to preserve the evidence of your ignorance. For that.. I thank you.

TheEnderBean
A Christian saying "It doesn''t matter what you believe" comes from the following:

"Buddha is just another manifestation of the Christian God"

Those who think it does matter what you believe come the following perspective:

"Buddha is just another version of Baal."

I''ll never tell someone from another religion that I think it''s okay they believe it if I honestly don''t. Jesus never did.

Ben
http://therabbithole.redback.inficad.com

quote:
This is the problem, and the first sentence is so completely false that I think it actually made me chuckle when I read it.

Actually, you are right, that sentence came out horribly wrong. Let me put it how I meant: No religion has ever preached ''We may not be correct''.

As for my last post, you asked for my opinion, don''t ask for what you don''t want. I''m sorry, but I can be blunt, especially with hypocrites on a high horse. I call you a hypocrite because after all your preaching about tolerence, you are obviously not tolerant of people with other viewpoints; not necessarily me, but people that do believe their religion is correct (you did spend three paragraphs bitching about them). Not to mention responding immaturely after calling my post immature (which, in all fairness, it was).

At the very least, unlike your last post, I only attacked what you said and never got personal.

Mike
"Unintentional death of one civilian by the US is a tragedy; intentional slaughter of a million by Saddam - a statistic." - Unknown
You dont seem to understand the nature on text: It doesnt get forgotten. I quote

"At the very least, unlike your last post, I only attacked what you said and never got personal."

Again:

"I found the rest of your post to be like the start, ramblings of a lunatic. "

Dude, you called me a rambling lunatic.

Further, your logic is so circular that my head is spinning.

"I call you a hypocrite because after all your preaching about tolerence, you are obviously not tolerant of people with other viewpoints; not necessarily me, but people that do believe their religion is correct (you did spend three paragraphs bitching about them)."

I said:

"The problem I have with the many "born again" types that I''ve met is thier intollerance. Intollerance to others view points, and religions is very dangerous to our world, and this has been proven throughout history."

So your argument is that Im intollerant of intollerance. You are correct sir. But beleive me, my kind of intollerance is alot nicer than the fellas behind the French revolution, the Crusades, and the Phili Whitch hunts. Those are the kind of viewpoints I don''t appreciate. You got me there.

And Further: To call one immature for calling someone immature (to which you admitted you were) is further causing my head to spin.

TheEnderBean

Oh, and one last error Vetinari:

"Actually, you are right, that sentence came out horribly wrong. Let me put it how I meant: No religion has ever preached ''We may not be correct''. "

Yea, there is: Agnosticism. (may or may not be a supreme being.. there is no proof either way.. way more to it) As well, there are many sect in other religions, including the Protestant religion, that state that the true nature of the universe may not be knowable.

Anyway, keep these little gems coming!.. I said I didnt want to flame war.. but Im in the mood now

TheEnderBean

Would you care to explain what the nature of the universe has to do with the protestant religion?

Agnostics believe there is a higher being. They just don''t claim to know anything about that being. You''re really really digging here.

They''re one step below organized religion. Organized religion merely explains their unknown god.

Ben
http://therabbithole.redback.inficad.com

Myopic:
I think it''s a bit optimistic of you to think this''ll end peacefully. But maybe this''ll be the exception to the rule.

As for there not being any proof about God:
You''ve basically got two choices for the beginning of the world/time/everything: A higher power that''s beyond our understanding created it all, or something became out of nothing. Take your pick.

"Christians"
As someone who follows Christianity I find it embarassing that certain people call themselves Christians. I''m sure there are practicing members of every religeon that feel this way. There''s always going to be a group that profess one way, but live another. That''s just part of human nature and life.

The "your god is just the Christian God with another name" thing doesn''t hold much water:
Jesus Said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life: no one comes to the Father except through me."
-John 14:6
That makes Christianity pretty exclusive.

Epolevne

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement