• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
floatingwoods

VS6 installation fails after VS.NET installation and desinstallation

This topic is 3647 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, After installing vs.NET 2003, I removed the previously installed vs6. However I noticed that I critically need vs6 and tried to reinstall it. It failed at the very beginning without giving any pertinent error message (except : "...was unable to install"). I then completely removed vs.NET and tried again, but same problem. I searched all over the web and could just find one reference to a problem that might be linked to a font file that needs renaming. However no further details were given. Did someone experience something similar or has a clue how I could solve this problem? I spent the last 10 hours searching for a solution but couldn't find... (;_;) Your help is greatly appreciated. Thanks

Advertisement
Well I'm not sure how to fix the VC6 installation error, but if you tell us why you need VC6 we might be able to offer alternate solutions.

Actually, I moved on to the newer version personally (on my computer at home), but I just started a new job in a company that is still running everything under vs6, and I need to be able to work at home too. Any alternative solutions?

Quote:
Original post by floatingwoods
Actually, I moved on to the newer version personally (on my computer at home), but I just started a new job in a company that is still running everything under vs6, and I need to be able to work at home too. Any alternative solutions?

Have you tried compiling the VC6 code with VC7? VC7 can automatically upgrade the project files from VC6. After doing that you might have a good chance that the code simply compiles without modification.

I should also mention your employer shouldn't be using VC6 at all, but theres probably nothing you can do about that.

You are right, but it is a very big move for the company and they are not yet ready. The code might compile in VC7 with a few adjustments, but I am sure there might be some other problems.
It seems there is a solution but I can't get my hands on it... I am desesperate.

Install VMWare and run VS6 through that, maybe? A bit of an extreme solution, but at least you don't have to uninstall the OS.

Sounds interesting. How does that exactly work? Will I have to install another windows running next to current? Which version of VMWare should I select.
Sorry for the many questions, I am not familiar with that!

Quote:
I just started a new job in a company that is still running everything under vs6

Quit the job ;)

Quote:
You are right, but it is a very big move for the company and they are not yet ready

After all, they've only had a decade.)

I'd go with the VMWare solution.
Install VMWare Server (it's free for some things, at least, check the license - or get your employer to pay for it, since they're the ones requiring you to run unsupported 10-year-old software), and create a virtual machine running Windows and VS6.

Quote:
Sounds interesting. How does that exactly work? Will I have to install another windows running next to current? Which version of VMWare should I select.
Sorry for the many questions, I am not familiar with that!

VMWare

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!