Opengl 3.0

Started by
40 comments, last by MARS_999 15 years, 9 months ago
Hy. I search opengl 3.0 in google and there is a lot of information ,but i not understand if the opengl 3.0 was released or not. I see also that there are a lot of change from opengl 2 and i ask if is better for me(a novice of the opengl) to start to study opengl 3. There are books on opengl 3? thanks
Advertisement
OpenGL 3.0 ir not yet ready. There is no actual API available to study.
Quote:The newest revision of the OpenGL API will be OpenGL 3.0, formerly known as the codename Longs Peak. It was initially due to be finalized in September 2007, but the Khronos group announced October 30 that it had run into several issues that it wished to address before the release and is currently re-evaluating the specification.[14] As a result the spec has been delayed into 2008. There have been no further official announcements concerning the release date or progress as of May 2008, leading to discontent and speculation within the community,[15] however, Michael Gold, an Nvidia employee and long-time OpenGL contributor[16], has implied that the spec will be revealed during the OpenGL BoF at SIGGRAPH 2008[17].
Source

Don't get me started on OpenGL 3.0 [flaming].
Quote:
Opengl 3.0

LOL !

[sad]
One of these days...

And then the cubs will win the world series!

FlyingIsFun1217 (I'm neutral to teams, btw)
was it september 2007, i had the feeling it was years ago, its not even that late!

to the OP info about ogl3.0 will be available in 44days time
Shall we put money down?

Now taking bets for OpenGL 3.0 verses Duke Nukem Forever!

Seriously though, I can't wait. I hope it's not delayed again.

"The right, man, in the wrong, place, can make all the dif-fer-rence in the world..." - GMan, Half-Life 2

A blog of my SEGA Megadrive development adventures: http://www.bigevilcorporation.co.uk

I heard it was August 2008
Quote:Original post by Eckos
I heard it was August 2008

You sure you got the year right on that?

Just kidding. It's just a shame that the new API isn't out. It looks so... luxurious!

FlyingIsFun1217 :P
"Looked"; right now we don't even know if the API will even look the same as it did.

I've said it before and I'll say it agai;, unless OpenGL is released in August both in spec form AND with decent and stable drivers from AT LEAST NV and AMD then it's worthless. After that there can be AT MOST a 2 month delay bringing out the next version with DX10 level features.

Why?

Because a year ago Vista wasn't a problem and OpenGL3.0 had a chance to step in and deliver.

They fumbled it (surprise surprise).

Now, less than a year on Vista is pushing 10% of the market, ahead of OSX and Linux combined (best source I can find) and that will only continue to grow.

If another 6 months passes without equal quality drivers from NV and AMD then adoption rate for GL3.0 will be poor. If another year has to pass without DX10 features then you'll start to lose the "D3D10 on XP" bonus GL could have had. If another six months has to pass for drivers to support that to a decent level.. well this is all I have to say on the matter.

It's up to the ARB and the IHVs to deliver... you'll forgive me if I'm not all that hopefull...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement