• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
mehdi0016

pathfinding help!

This topic is 3643 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

hi i have some question about pathfinding. now, i learn some about A* and Dijkstra, but for city pathfinding program(not a game) what's your suggestion ? which algorithm is better? also i need some info about Ant Colony Optimization. how could it help ? thanks.

Advertisement
Pathfinding in a real city isn't necessarily any different from doing it in a game. A* and Dijkstra both work well in their respective ways. What will work best for you depends on your exact need.

There's some reasonable information on ant colony optimisation on Wikipedia, including links to references. Is that sufficient?

I recommend IDA* algorithm for games. It's a variant of A* which searchs in depth-first mannar. It's a bit complex than A* but has some nice features.

You can find details here:
http://www.gamasutra.com/features/20000626/brockington_01.htm

A* has a part where it generates successor nodes for the current node being examined. When you generate these nodes to explore in the future, don't generate them for areas where you would need to pass down a one way street to get there.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!