• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
MarsTeam

too old?

This topic is 3786 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hello, I would like to ask you one thing. I am 17(soon 18) years old and I'm medicore+ in C++, and I started learning OpenGL few days ago. I never really worked on any big project, just lot of algorithm stuff in clean C++. But then, I see work of those much younger guys here on forum, stuff they do in 3D, and most of them started with programming around age 13. My question is, am I too old for that ? Everyone around me says that I'm too old to start with that, and I'll be waste of time. I would like to hear your oppinion, wheter it's possible to learn game-developement at this age, if you have any expieriences, or when did you start learning. I just finished my first game, tetris, and that's about my abilities. I want to do something more difficult, but should I, if everyone is saying i'm too old and I should learn something else. Thanks for answer.

Advertisement
Hah, yeah you're not too old. Plenty of people actually start learning software engineering and related fields in college. It's too late to be some sort of wunderkind but there's definitely nothing holding you back from a great career as far as age goes.

I started programming when I was 16 years old (I'm now 21) and I'm now working for over 2 years for a game developer here in the Netherlands. I haven't even finished my school...
What I want to say with this is that it doesn't matter when you start with game development, just invest a lot of time in it... You should be eager to learn new things. That's the most important thing I think.

But.. those younger guys have two major advantages:
1. The younger you are, the easier you learn (but hey... you're young too).
2. They got some more years of experience (but that doesn't mean that they know what they're doing).

So.. just go ahead and write code... the most important thing is that you should do that you love.

Quote:
Original post by WalterTamboer
I started programming when I was 16 years old (I'm now 21) and I'm now working for over 2 years for a game developer here in the Netherlands. I haven't even finished my school...
What I want to say with this is that it doesn't matter when you start with game development, just invest a lot of time in it... You should be eager to learn new things. That's the most important thing I think.

But.. those younger guys have two major advantages:
1. The younger you are, the easier you learn (but hey... you're young too).
2. They got some more years of experience (but that doesn't mean that they know what they're doing).

So.. just go ahead and write code... the most important thing is that you should do that you love.

Thanks, and would you give me advice ? Should I do OpenGL in C++ Borland Builder I have, or just in Dev-C++. I don't like to work in Builder, code isn't so clean when I implement openGL in it, and I don't want to be sticked with Window's windows...But I've been told that I will have to get used to it, either earlier or later, I will have to use Builder. I'm not sure if it's true in game-developement, is it ? It's not that I have problems with builder (I did in VB6 when I was younger), they are great for writing applications, but games ?

"Never stop learning until ur layed in ur coffin" - Confucius

As long as u've that craziness to entertain building a game and learn computer graphics and engine programming... !!! Basically that Drive is what you have kindle there rest will follow !!!

;^) GoodLuck

PS: You'll meet lot of showoffs, the majority only code to code for the show, few actually release useful solutions and continue to bigger products... just do it for the love and do ur thing... Use these forums wisely !! Very helpful!

I am 28 and just last month got a job offer from a major game developer. I started programming around 12-13, but didn't really get a good grasp on C++ until I was 25ish. There is no such thing as 'too old'. Don't get discouraged by thinking that you are getting a late start. Just stay away from 'tutorial' sites and the urge to copy-paste program and learn to read API documentation and use it, and you will pick things up fast. Keep in mind that learning good design is just as, if not more important than learning the API details on how to make it draw things.

Quote:
Original post by MarsTeam
Thanks, and would you give me advice ? Should I do OpenGL in C++ Borland Builder I have, or just in Dev-C++. I don't like to work in Builder, code isn't so clean when I implement openGL in it, and I don't want to be sticked with Window's windows...But I've been told that I will have to get used to it, either earlier or later, I will have to use Builder. I'm not sure if it's true in game-developement, is it ? It's not that I have problems with builder (I did in VB6 when I was younger), they are great for writing applications, but games ?

If I were you, and developing on Windows, I would grab VC++ Express. It is a great and powerful IDE and 100% free. I haven't used a Borland compiler since the DOS days, but I feel that VC++ Express is leaps and bounds better than Dev-C++. As long as you know what you are doing, and don't code with compiler specific extensions or OS specific libraries, the compiler you choose won't lock you into a specific OS.

Quote:
Original post by Dranith
Quote:
Original post by MarsTeam

If I were you, and developing on Windows, I would grab VC++ Express. It is a great and powerful IDE and 100% free. I haven't used a Borland compiler since the DOS days, but I feel that VC++ Express is leaps and bounds better than Dev-C++. As long as you know what you are doing, and don't code with compiler specific extensions or OS specific libraries, the compiler you choose won't lock you into a specific OS.

I didn't mean compiler, but if it's better to use Dev-C++ for clean opengl or whole builder and implement opengl in it. By builder I mean this:

http://www.simonhuggins.com/courses/cbasics/course_notes/images/s1_start_screen.jpg

Quote:
Thanks, and would you give me advice ? Should I do OpenGL in C++ Borland Builder I have, or just in Dev-C++.

Well just experiment with a lot of compilers to see which one is easy to use (DevCPP uses gcc I believe?). Personally, I use Visual Studio 2005 professional but there is also an Express edition which is free.

Your "code isn't so clean" statement", I don't get... You're the one who's writing the code, that has nothing to do with the compiler you're using.

Oh and last but deffinatly not least: What Dranith said about learning how to read an API documentation (such as MSDN has for example)! (++rating Dranith!) That is what separates a good programmer from a bad one. On top of that, it feels much more satisfying if you're able to find things out yourself than to ask other people all the time.

Good luck :)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!