Indicating when someone new has rated you up

Started by
48 comments, last by Trapper Zoid 15 years, 9 months ago
Which we're not going to have.
Advertisement
There's a reason we don't provide you with detailed information on who rated you and how - to prevent cronyism. While I'm sure all you fine, upstanding folk would never resort to trading ratings favors, some will in a "fraudulent" attempt to boost their legitimacy.

As the community begins to recognize ratings as signs of positive contributions, and as we experiment with supplemental commendations for technical accuracy, the anonymity of the rating system becomes more important. Besides, I don't know why it's so important to know, on a points basis, exactly who rated you up and when.
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
There's a reason we don't provide you with detailed information on who rated you and how - to prevent cronyism. While I'm sure all you fine, upstanding folk would never resort to trading ratings favors, some will in a "fraudulent" attempt to boost their legitimacy.

As the community begins to recognize ratings as signs of positive contributions, and as we experiment with supplemental commendations for technical accuracy, the anonymity of the rating system becomes more important. Besides, I don't know why it's so important to know, on a points basis, exactly who rated you up and when.
If this is the case, why are we even able to see who's rated you up? Surely it would be better to remove this as well?
Quote:Original post by Kylotan
Quote:Original post by j_smith4
Why I like the rating system of the vBulletin boards. Lets you know who rated you up/down, when it was, and a comment for the rate.

Which we're not going to have.

Which is not what I'm asking for.

Not detailed information, not how, just "hey, this person rated you up". That's it. It's nice to know.

Beginner in Game Development?  Read here. And read here.

Quote:Original post by Evil Steve
If this is the case, why are we even able to see who's rated you up? Surely it would be better to remove this as well?

Exactly, and indeed.
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
Quote:Original post by Evil Steve
Exactly, and indeed.
It does seem a bit pointless - I can't remember the last time I looked at that page.

A feature that might actually improve the usability of the ratings system would be a little 'thumbs up/down' badge next to the ratings button on the forum, to let me know if I have already rated the user (rather than having to click the ratings button, and then hit back when you see which option is prefilled).

Tristam MacDonald. Ex-BigTech Software Engineer. Future farmer. [https://trist.am]

I have to admit I wouldn't mind knowing *why*. I don't really care who, but I do like to know what I have done to make someone happy.

Quote:Besides, I don't know why it's so important to know, on a points basis, exactly who rated you up and when.

Perhaps to know who likes you? Or rather, who you have helped/made laugh/et al.
Your rating should go out automatically through gut determination and stamina. 100 points for each year since you've joined and kept posting.

500 points if you continual post completely incorrect answers to everything and ignoring everybody telling you to go away.

1000 points if you are able to fit the word meow sensibly into every post (sorry, watched super troopers again last night)

on a sensible note, its quite correct that people shouldn't know who rated you up or down. As somebody else said to prevent revenge ratings. It'll be nice to know who did vote you up, but then all we'll end up with is a voting system much like that used in the eurovision song contest.

I do get slightly paranoid though, if I've tried my best to be helpful; even if it isn't quite what the person was looking for, I would hope that they wouldn't mark my rating down because of it.
http://www.fotofill.co.uk
Isn't this incredibly easy to implement? The users who rated you up are already sorted by a criteria (their personal rating). How hard is it to just add another criteria? (the date of when the rating was made)

Then, whenever your rating goes up and you want to know who rated you up, you just look at the topmost name on the list. No need to scroll, keep lists or anything like that.
If you don't want anybody to get butt hurt by knowing who rated them down whats the point of knowing who rated you up? That the world is all sunshine and flowers and that everybody gets along without problems? In the end the ratings are pretty useless anyway. You can have a bad day at work and post an unintentional rude comment and lose a bunch of points. Or just have an unpopular opinion. I must have lost a good 300 points in the pot thread a month back or so.

Given that I rarely post outside the lounge and given what my rating is people are rating me based on the opinion of my posts as opposed to me giving out bad advice. How is that really any worse then a few people that want to rep trade for a number that doesn't mean anything outside the board anyway?
--------Ratings - Serious internet buisness

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement