• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
bronxbomber92

Best way to learn Lisp?

This topic is 3647 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Advertisement
I liked SICP. It uses Scheme, but after studying that book you'll be in a good spot to make the transition to Common Lisp if you still want to do so. And don't let the math scare you, if you find yourself confused by the examples just skip past them (this really only applies to the first chapter).

SICP is certainly a good way to start. Still in the Scheme world, there's also How to Design Programs. And if you want to learn Common Lisp, Practical Common Lisp and Paul Graham's On Lisp. And then there's Successful Lisp. All five are free (just follow the link).

Of course, there's overlap between the books. If I were to pick, I would definitely go with SICP, as while it does learn you Scheme, it does learn you many other things too that apply to many other languages. Practical Common Lisp is good for, well... practical Common Lisp, such as creating a web server in CL, a unit testing library, etc. Lots of real-world examples. And On Lisp is a bit more "theoretical" again, but is certainly worth reading if you're serious about CL. Lots of good stuff on how to write macros.

In the "less free" category:

Thanks guys! SICP seem like a great book, and so does PCL. This should get me started finely :)

i_is_want_smart: Just to broaden my programming experience beyond C-family languages.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!