looking for the perfect machine

Started by
47 comments, last by Sneftel 15 years, 9 months ago
Quote:Original post by DevFred
Quote:Original post by osmanb
You don't know what you want.

Sure he does, let me summarize:

He wants to make a 3D game in a high level language without any dependencies. He wants to code everything top-down by himself, but he doesn't want to become a developer. Oh yeah and the game should look like Unreal Tournament 2001, but with bump-mapping.

thats not really an unrealistic goal, you know.... maybe its not the way its normally done, or the fastest way, but its doable...
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by DescentPro

He wants to make a 3D game in a high level language without any dependencies. He wants to code everything top-down by himself, but he doesn't want to become a developer. Oh yeah and the game should look like Unreal Tournament 2001, but with bump-mapping.

thats not really an unrealistic goal, you know.... maybe its not the way its normally done, or the fastest way, but its doable...

It is an unrealistic goal. When you first said you don't want 'dependencies', I thought you were talking about 3rd party libraries. But you don't want to use libraries at all, not even the standard one. Every high-level language I know is pretty much useless without its standard library. Even if you were to rewrite portions of that(which means you would be tremendously talented and experienced, much more than the average developer), you would use OS services for at least memory and I/O, but you don't want that either. So...

It's completely impossible. There is no way a single person could do that on his own; as previously noted, it has taken hundreds of man-years to produce the tools and systems necessary to produce even relatively simple games. To do that all over again by a single person would take several lifetimes.

Given the attitude you exhibit and the questions you ask, I'm going to give you a piece of advice I have never given anyone before: give up programming. It's simply not for you. Your time is better spent in another field.
-------------Please rate this post if it was useful.

This is like drinking the Atlantic Ocean and peeing it out in the Pacific Ocean. Well, maybe not that hard (stupid spherical planet), but it's still next to impossible.

You should work smarter, not harder.

You need to refine your goal down to something a little more specific. Figure out what type of game you want to write and just give in to using a library.

If you STILL don't want to use libraries, just throw Vista out of the equation all together.

Get a hex editor (Even harder! Yay! Maybe notepad if you can stand it) and write a bootloader (www.osdev.org will show you how). Save your bootloader to a floppy. Now, order the Intel manuals (They're free! (No sarcasm here)) and start to write your game. You are now free of any libraries and/or dependencies. On the other hand, you must write every single bit, but that shouldn't be too hard.

Actually, you might get interested in OS development. Though then again, you don't want to be a developer nor do you "spend your whole day hunched over a computer" or whatever the rude phrase you used was.

Anyways, I look forward to your uB3r l337 a|\|Ti n00b game of awesomeness. Good luck!

:)

P.S. This thread is going nowhere, close it please mods?
Emulate some simple hardware with qemu and just run your application in real mode.
You could eventually use Xen with it and get native CPU performance.
ive never heard of xen. but i did come up with an interesting search on wikipedia. its called a field programable logic array, and it is said one can make a custom processor out of this (although its performance wont equal that of hardwired competitors). does anyone know about these? like how much they cost or if they and usuable for hobbyists
I've heard a little bit about them, but can't imagine any sort of game applicable use for them that isn't better served by programming for a readily available platform like the PC or consoles or mobile phones. Even some sort of standup cabinet is better had with a pc controlling it. Or some robot thing would be better with one of the pre-packaged kits.
ive never heard of xen. but i did come up with an interesting search on wikipedia. its called a field programable logic array, and it is said one can make a custom processor out of this (although its performance wont equal that of hardwired competitors). does anyone know about these? like how much they cost or if they and usuable for hobbyists

FPGA's are interesting pieces of hardware. I've used them a few times for various things. However, I'm not sure what you think you would accomplish by using them; they are mainly useful in embedded applications for control and signal processing. You won't be able to do any real graphics on them, and programming them requires decent competence in the fields of in logic, digital electronics and low-level programming; debugging is generally done with a logic probe and an oscilloscope. Program flow is strictly limited to primitive state machines. From your posts here, I'd say you don't have the background to be able to use FPGAs.

The cost of FPGA units is low (less than a hundred dollars per unit), but the sockets tend to be more expensive. The equipment to program FPGAs is usally the most expensive part in the setup (a couple of hundred dollars, maybe). But I suggest you stay away from FPGAs. If you can't do high-level programming, you're not likely to achieve much fiddling with programmable circuitry.
-------------Please rate this post if it was useful.

FPGAs are fun and usable for EE hobbyists. They are of little or no use to game development hobbyists. You mentioned in your original post that the Hydra's "lack of memory and processor power made it impossible to use for what i wanted." Any processor you design on an FPGA will make the that processor look like a supercomputer.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement