• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
jackharmon

SLI system - 4 contiguous monitors?

This topic is 3644 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is it possible to use all 4 video ports to render a single scene using DirectX? Where would I start other than searching the forums? Is there example code someone could point me to? Thanks!

Advertisement
I've only ever rendered to two monitors at once, but as long as there is driver support I assume it would be possible for four as well.

On my dual-screen app, driver support is imperative. The user must go into the ATI Catalyst Control Center / NVidia Control Panel, and set their displays into "Span mode" - this performs some wizardry at the driver-level, which convinces Windows that you actually only have one (big) monitor.

In my case, after making this change in the control panel, I have one 1280x2048 screen instead of two 1280x1024 screens. Then I can just run a full-screen D3D application as usual. If I only want to render to one of the (physical) screens, then I just adjust the viewport to target half of the (virtual) screen.

If the drivers don't allow you to do this with 4 screens, then there are still alternatives, such as creating multiple windows (one per screen), but performance would be worse.

[edit]Ysaneya has posted about some dual-screen work here before too. His technique of rendering to an off-screen buffer is a really good idea if you don't have driver-level support like I do in my above post ;)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!