• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
giugio

OpenGL pixel/vertex shader

This topic is 3816 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hy. I search in google a good article that explain the vertex and the pixel shaders(i read that pixel shaders in opengl is not supported) , but i'm slightly confused. Can you help me? THanks

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by giugio
Hy.
I search in google a good article that explain the vertex and the pixel shaders(i read that pixel shaders in opengl is not supported) , but i'm slightly confused.
Can you help me?
THanks

[google] -> "shader" = awesome wikipedia articles

Also, OpenGL can do anything and everything Direct3D can do (and vice-versa applies) (well, maybe except quads [lol]), including pixel shaders (if your GPU supports them, of course).

Maybe you read that some particular graphics card doesn't support pixel shaders. Vertex and pixels shaders have been available in GL since June 18, 2002 in the form of GL_ARB_vertex_program and GL_ARB_fragment_program and even before that, 2000, nVidia had their register combiners and ATI had their combiners.

In GL, they aren't called pixel shaders but instead fragment shaders. A pixel is what your monitor has. A fragment is a piece that is processed by the fragment pipe. It has associated color, depth, stencil and other info.

Since GL 2.0, GLSL became a core feature.
You might want to buy the Orange book which explains this stuff.

Some stuff here
http://www.opengl.org/wiki/index.php/Shading_languages:_GLSL

http://www.lighthouse3d.com/opengl/

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

GameDev.net is your game development community. Create an account for your GameDev Portfolio and participate in the largest developer community in the games industry.

Sign me up!