• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
GenuineXP

Boost.IOStreams: How to Work with Archived (Compressed) and Encrypted Data

This topic is 3704 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

I'm wondering if the Boost.IOStreams library should be able to handle my needs. I have no experience with the library, so I'm unsure, and the documentation is difficult to understand (as is typical with official Boost docs). I have a package system in which packages contain indexed resources. This is actually very simply a directory structure along with an XML file that assigned IDs to different resources and information about how they should be loaded. At the moment, this is completely open and as is: I keep everything inside a directory tree with all of the files in plain sight. I want to provide packages as compressed archives (Gzipped tarballs). Also in each package is a key file that has a four byte key used to apply very simple reversible XOR encryption on all files (other than the key file and directories, of course). I remember reading that Boost streams can attach to and read/write Gzipped data. Can they also attach to an archive (tarball)? I also read a bit about filters, which seem to be the solution to handling the encrypted data. Is there a way I could put this altogether to yield a simple stream (or streams) my code can use to read/write the data? Also, any links to more human friendly documentation on Boost streams would be appreciated. :-) Thanks!

Advertisement
While I'm still in need of assistance, I'd like to retract my statement about the Boost.Iostreams documentation! I'm reading through much of it now and it seems much better constructed than most other Boost docs.

Also, bump. :-)

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!