Learning 3Ds MAX...is it really hard to do this?

Started by
10 comments, last by csharpguru08 15 years, 9 months ago
Basically, I have a big book called 3Ds MAX 7 or 8 or something Bible a friend just gave me. I kind of am tempted to try and learn how to make models. I was wondering though is it hard? I want to make models like in Diablo II were they are little demons I can make for fun for example with a few animations. I know this is kind of a perspective thing, but that's what I'm looking for. So if you could please share your ideas :)
Advertisement
[This should be in the visual art section, not game programming]

It's hard if using 3DS Max is hard for you. Really, there isn't a yes or no answer that somebody can give you. You have to try it for yourself and decide whether or not you're enjoying it and are eager to learn more.

Yes it will likely be confusing to get used to it at first, but if you like it then you'll be more likely to keep at it and your skill will (hopefully!) improve. I've been doing modeling for a while (in Blender) and it took me a long time to get used to it. Be sure to give it time; don't expect great results right from the start.

And good luck!
Ok.
For me the learning curve was quite simple, I used the 3ds Max 8 Bible (book) and it was very useful. Just be sure that as you learn things, try things out on your own (this counts for any learning curve). Once I finished the book I just used some online tutorials (google 3ds Max Tutorial).
You can always go to Lynda.com and subscribe for video tutorials. I use that site often.
I have 3ds max and it's a great modeling program with loads of great features,but I suck soooooo bad at using it. I see people make humans, cars, everything perfectly symmetrical and they make it look so easy great. I would love to get better with it also, but I really don't know how =..(. I would love advice on this also. The controls for 3Ds max are great though and easy to get used to.
Quote:Original post by Tenac
I have 3ds max and it's a great modeling program with loads of great features,but I suck soooooo bad at using it. I see people make humans, cars, everything perfectly symmetrical and they make it look so easy great. I would love to get better with it also, but I really don't know how =..(. I would love advice on this also. The controls for 3Ds max are great though and easy to get used to.

'Mirror' is your friend.

--------Ratings - Serious internet buisness
Just like programming 3D modeling is hard!
I don't know what gave you the impression that it was easy?
I have a dvd that shows you how to make a 3D model of a car and it's even that takes a pro 2 hours to do!
You can also look up Paul Steed's book. I believe he is the guy that did most of the quake/doom 3D models and he wrote an entire book on how to do it for 3Dmax!

Paul Steed is widely considered to be the dominant 3D game modeler and animator in the business. He has worked in the computer game industry for nearly 14 years, and is currently the Creative Director for Xbox at Microsoft. His career spans six companies and over 15 shipped titles or online products. Most well-known for his character models, animations, and plan files while at id Software (Quake II, Quake III Arena, and Quake III Team Arena), he also worked on the Wing Commander series at Origin Systems.

[Edited by - daviangel on July 1, 2008 3:57:58 PM]
[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Start with the tutorials that ship with Max if I were you. I did and it gave me a sound knowledge of the whole program.

But even if you learn the application inside out you still have to be of an artistic mind if you plan on creating your own quality content.
---When I'm in command, every mission's a suicide mission!
Its like all art ... is useing a paint brush hard? Can you make the monalisa?

Learning to use max will take a bit of a learning curve, but nothing you can't handle. Learning how to make NICE models, that are nicely ballanced and animate correctly and look good? Yikes! Same as 2D art, if you can use photoshop doesn't mean you can draw. So give it a go, the worst that will happen is you find out your like me:

I can use max (and photoshop for that matter) however I cannot model or draw to save my life! However I make some mighty fine stick figures and cubes though if I do say so myself haha
Heya,

i can't really speak about 3Ds Max since i use Maya but while in college i have noticed a huge thing some people (like me :P) in my class have come to grasp with the whole 3D concept and are getting good results quickly and easily where as some people have well not seemed to grasp the whole thing.

So i can't say whether you would find using 3DS Max is easy since it is completely up to you the good thing about using a 3D program is that you can do what ever you want to certain extent. So like most people have been saying give it a try and see how you get on i personally find Maya really easy to get on with but thats my preference.

I would recommend going through the book a chapter at a time and then when you have finished a chapter (for example in the chapter you learned how to skin a character) go back and create another character and just try doing as much as you can without the book and then refer back to it again when ever you simply can't remember that way you do not become sole dependent on a book or tutorial and learn things your way. Also try different things from the internet since a community is always developing you will constantly be learning new things.

....i didn't mean to write all that sorry :P but i hope it helps in some way
Hope to see some of you work
Vel

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement