• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ed209

[.net] Can't do selectionstart from outside a form???

This topic is 3640 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi, I am adding a find feature to my notepad I coded in vb.net, but it won't let me do selectionstart and selectionlength from outside of the main form.

Private Sub btnFind_Click(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles btnFind.Click

str = Form1.TextBox1.Text
        strfind = txtFind.Text

If str.Contains(strfind) Then

Form1.TextBox1.SelectionStart = CStr(str.IndexOf(strfind))
            Form1.TextBox1.SelectionLength = CStr(strfind.Length)

btnFindNext.Enabled = True
        End If
    End Sub

Advertisement
What's the exact error message?

I assume Form1 is the name of a Form based class and that TextBox1 is a private instance field of Form1. In this case:
1.) You cannot access instance members without an instance of the defining class. The btnFind_Click method needs to have access to an instance of Form1 somehow. For example you can pass the Form1 instance as a constructor argument to the class that defines btnFind_Click. Or you can define a property with a setter to accept the instance.

2.) You won't be able to access private members from outside the class. In your case, btnFind_Click will not have access to TextBox1 if btnFind_Click is not a member of Form1. You can provide a public property on Form1 that returns the TextBox instance.

3.) Generally it would be a better design if Form1 would not expose its controls. A better approach would be to have one property that returns the text in the text box and maybe have a method SelectText(start as Int32, length as Int32) that sets the selection for the text box.

Regards,
Andre

Hi,

btnFind_Click actually does have access to textbox1. I can edit and delete text from the find form. The problem is, I can't select text until the main form has focus again.

awesome, thanks. Now if I could only figure out how to make it scroll down to the selected text, I would be all set.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!