• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
Endemoniada

[.net] .NET Framework Versions

This topic is 3694 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Hi guys, If I have the .NET 3.5 Framework installed and a game needs the 2.0 (which I didn't explicitly install) will it still work ? Thanks.

Advertisement
Quote:
Original post by Daaark
The 3.5 stuff even runs on the 2.0 framework.
To further clarify this point; .NET 3.0 adds extra classes to .NET 2.0 (such as WPF, WCF and WWF). .NET 3.5 adds extra classes to .NET 3.0 (such as the stuff provided by System.Core.dll). However, .NET 3.0 and .NET 3.5 still use the .NET 2.0 CLR (the virtual machine).

To further complicate the issue, C#3 adds several new language features (such as lambda expressions, object initialisers, implicit types, automatic properties and anonymous types) all of which work when targetting .NET 2.0. However, some features such as LINQ or extension methods rely on additional classes added in .NET 3.5, so won't work when targetting .NET 2.0.

.NET 1.x uses a different CLR to .NET 2.0 and above. In theory you shouldn't need to install it manually, but I've had a few app installers that can't detect that it's installed after installing .NET 3.0/.NET 3.5 so you may need to anyway.

Quote:
Original post by benryves
To further clarify this point

Are you sure? ;)

Endemoniada,

Further clarification... All version of the .NET Framework are installed "side-by-side", and therefore can co-exist together. Each .NET application is compiled to run on a specific version of the Framework. Also, since the 2.0 version, all versions since include full installs of prior versions down to the 2.0 version.

Hi,
I had the same concern 1 month back. We had an application developed in .NET 2.0. Due to some stability issue, we modified one of the components using .NET 3.0 . After integrarting the new component with old application ,to set up the servers I installed only .Net 3.0 . It automatically installed .NET 2.0 also (if the machine does not have .NET 2.0 installed before). You can see this in the ADD/Remove programs.

Also, the application runs smoothly just right now. :)

regards,
akjal

To further simplify :

.Net 3.0 and 3.5 is basically .Net 2.0 with added assemblies on top of 2.0 ones.

So .Net 3.0/3.5 is a fatter .Net 2.0

P.S. would have been better if MS named .Net 3.0/3.5, .Net 2.0A and .Net 2.0B respectively (or something like that to avoid confusion), but the marketing geniuses had a better idea.

Quote:
Original post by benryves
Quote:
Original post by Daaark
The 3.5 stuff even runs on the 2.0 framework.
To further clarify this point; .NET 3.0 adds extra classes to .NET 2.0 (such as WPF, WCF and WWF). .NET 3.5 adds extra classes to .NET 3.0 (such as the stuff provided by System.Core.dll). However, .NET 3.0 and .NET 3.5 still use the .NET 2.0 CLR (the virtual machine).

To further complicate the issue, C#3 adds several new language features (such as lambda expressions, object initialisers, implicit types, automatic properties and anonymous types) all of which work when targetting .NET 2.0. However, some features such as LINQ or extension methods rely on additional classes added in .NET 3.5, so won't work when targetting .NET 2.0.

.NET 1.x uses a different CLR to .NET 2.0 and above. In theory you shouldn't need to install it manually, but I've had a few app installers that can't detect that it's installed after installing .NET 3.0/.NET 3.5 so you may need to anyway.

They got a nice picture to visual it here;)
.NET Framework (NetFx or Fx) version 3.5 has two elements to it that must be understood: the green bits and the red bits. The original references to this term are on old blog posts by Soma and Jason. Compared to those two blog entries I have the advantage of 13 months of hindsight :-), so I will provide here the details behind those descriptions in my own words starting with my own slide:

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!