Critique my rpg game idea

Started by
54 comments, last by Tannis 15 years, 8 months ago
Got this somewhere off the internet, and wanted to add the "goals" section because it wasn't anywhere else. Introduction: Legends of Archaic is an action role-playing game for the PC and PS3 that drops the player into an epic fantasy world where his friends may be enemies and where an unknown evil lurks as he tries to find the true path to destroy the evil, and as he suffers through hardships of traitors, family conflicts, and great wars in a stunning graphical world. Background (optional): Legends of Archaic will have a sequel, called Legends of Archaic Online that will be an MMORPG with the same fighting system, but increases quests and adds skills. The fighting system is like in Zelda, where you can equip items/spells to a button. This will be made with SOGL (my framework, doing pretty well on it), and has 30 or so hours of game play. Description: Legends of Archaic will provide a new type of action RPG, being faster paced and more exciting, while keeping the aspects of great storyline and an RPG system. Train with your friend in split screen multiplayer mode, either together or against each other. Use button equipping to customize your attack style, and keep your game in a fast paced, heart beating environment. By playing Legends of Archaic, you’ll still have your blood racing hours after you stop playing. We emphasize the action in action RPG. Goals: · Provide a base game to work off of in other games · Get some one to notice my site and other games · Epic Storyline · Provide a base for an MMORPG - Somewhere in the far future Key features: · First 4 player split screen RPG, fusing together separate characters with different save files, to travel around the world, and progress through the game together, while still being able to have a separate files! - Would only work for a console system platform unless you have multiple gamepads/joysticks/keyboards and mice. · Non-Dungeon based world - I have no idea how I could do this, but dungeons make me sick. · Equip items to buttons - Like Zelda but better. · Training not a burden - Fast paced and fun, plus you can train with your friends. · Fast paced action · Evil/Good choice, Some parts depend on how you act in gameplay, like when talking to NPC's, or what you choose at certain key parts. Genre: Fantasy action role playing game Platform(s): PC (target), PS3 and possibly XBox 360 platforms. I probably messed a few things up by what it meant I was supposed to put there but whatever. Please tell me what you think of the new ideas like the good/evil and parts based on behavior. Also, what do you think about the fast paced action(like savage 2) and the multiplayer splitscreen with seperate save files with or against each other. That's basically how I want to build my RPG.
-Jedimace1My company siteEmber StudiosAlmost Done
Advertisement
Aside from hype your post doesn't seem to say anything about your game save a few minor details that aren't really relavent to the game play and features that are pretty much standard for a RPG.
If you want any useful input from a design perspective tell us why its so epic and amazing and what makes it different from every other RPG.
Quote:Original post by Kaze
Aside from hype your post doesn't seem to say anything about your game save a few minor details that aren't really relavent to the game play and features that are pretty much standard for a RPG.
If you want any useful input from a design perspective tell us why its so epic and amazing.

I don't understand what you mean. Because it's fast paced and you can actually train with/against your friends, which is what I've always wanted in something like Kingdom Hearts. Is that what you mean? Or do you want me to get the story and stuff, I was going to post that in the writing for games section? Os should I wait until I get some screenshots? The main point is to get stuff about the questions at the bottom, I really don't have enough stuff to show you stuff for an RPG. I just wanted you to get the type of RPG so you can tell me if it would blend.
Just that most of what you posted doesn't have enough details to get a idea of what your game is beyond its a rpg, also it wastes a lot of words on meaningless hype.
Generally it's a bad idea to pitch games in the format "Its like 'x', but....", or even worse as your using "Its like 'x'".

So it's a new type of action RPG? How so? What makes it new? By stating the combat is like Zelda kind of implies there isn't anything new at all and that it's JAR (Just Another RPG)

Essentially the problem lies in that your not actually describing your game, your describing your gameplay (and the gameplay of 90% of other RPG's). Sounds more like marketing speak than a game idea TBH.
What you say is an overall nice set of objectives and high-level features (with the exception of split screen gaming on the PC).

Now that you have set yourself up some design objectives, you have to do the actual design work. For instance, you intend to make training fast paced and fun—how will you achieve this?
Ok, what I am about to say is meant to be taken CONSTRUCTIVELY. I've played RPGs since Nintendo and spent just about as long writing my own. This is my favorite type of game and I have played hundreds of them and I'm really picky when it comes to them. Ok, now to my opinion.

1. Ditch the title. It sounds horribly generic. Anything named "Legends of" screams "I'm generic!" and generic is rarely fun to play.

2. The introduction you have listed confirms that the story is generic. It suffers from the "An ancient evil has awoken and only one person can stop it, its their destiny blah blah" syndrome. Also you seem to be emphasizing graphics which I assure you is not why people play RPGs.

3. Under your background section, the first thing you do is mention a sequel. Um...no. You have no idea if your game (or story) warrants a sequel. If you can tell a great story, and it wraps up all loose ends, who says that a sequel is the best thing for it? Not to mention an MMO sequel. MMOs have a ridiculous development price tag. If your game is not a hit, your MMO definitely wont be. Focus on one game at a time.

4. Your description section says nothing about your story or game play. It looks like it talks about gameplay, but in reality it just talks about features like split screen and button mapping...not so interesting.

Ok farther on down the post, you have a section saying you want a dungeon free world...well, dungeon is a generic term. A forest can be a dungeon. Dungeons are usually (not always) classified as places where you fight monsters. For a game that stresses on action dungeon free would be pretty boring.

Farther down from that is your target platform. You want it on PC, but I can tell you this game if it ever gets made will take longer then the life cycle of the ps3 or 360, not to mention if you want sales you would want it on the 360 before the ps3. Most people I know buy the PS3 for a cheap blu-ray player not so much for gaming. 360s, Wiis, and PC is a better option.

What you should do is if your making an RPG, work on the story. I have trudged through endless crap game play RPGs just because I liked the story. Game play is definitely important too please don't think of that as second to the story, they really need to go hand in hand in an RPG.

If you have trouble with a story, the easiest thing I always found to do is:

-Write a list of cliche RPG story items, and don't use a single one.
-Create an outline of your story, and continue to break it down over and over into smaller more detailed story segments.
-When you get what you like, walk away from your story for weeks.
-Come back to your story and make faces at the sections you reread that actually suck when you thought they were good before. Erase and re-write them.
-Repeat above steps till you have a story.

Quote:Original post by Chrono1081
1. Ditch the title. It sounds horribly generic. Anything named "Legends of" screams "I'm generic!" and generic is rarely fun to play.

I know. Gonna change it after the game is done.

Quote:2. The introduction you have listed confirms that the story is generic. It suffers from the "An ancient evil has awoken and only one person can stop it, its their destiny blah blah" syndrome. Also you seem to be emphasizing graphics which I assure you is not why people play RPGs.

Trying to avoid that. I'm still redesigning it.

Quote:3. Under your background section, the first thing you do is mention a sequel. Um...no. You have no idea if your game (or story) warrants a sequel. If you can tell a great story, and it wraps up all loose ends, who says that a sequel is the best thing for it? Not to mention an MMO sequel. MMOs have a ridiculous development price tag. If your game is not a hit, your MMO definitely wont be. Focus on one game at a time.

Ok. Thanks.

Quote:4. Your description section says nothing about your story or game play. It looks like it talks about gameplay, but in reality it just talks about features like split screen and button mapping...not so interesting.

I know. I can't think of what else to put there. I really need to get my game started, I was just hoping on comments about those ideas.

Quote:Ok farther on down the post, you have a section saying you want a dungeon free world...well, dungeon is a generic term. A forest can be a dungeon. Dungeons are usually (not always) classified as places where you fight monsters. For a game that stresses on action dungeon free would be pretty boring.

I know. The point is to find an acceptable alternative.

Quote:Farther down from that is your target platform. You want it on PC, but I can tell you this game if it ever gets made will take longer then the life cycle of the ps3 or 360, not to mention if you want sales you would want it on the 360 before the ps3. Most people I know buy the PS3 for a cheap blu-ray player not so much for gaming. 360s, Wiis, and PC is a better option.

Ok.

Quote:What you say is an overall nice set of objectives and high-level features (with the exception of split screen gaming on the PC).

Now that you have set yourself up some design objectives, you have to do the actual design work. For instance, you intend to make training fast paced and fun—how will you achieve this?

I know. Still figuring some of this stuff out.

Quote:Just that most of what you posted doesn't have enough details to get a idea of what your game is beyond its a rpg, also it wastes a lot of words on meaningless hype.

I know. Isn't it great? I have got to spend a little more time working on this stuff. I'll post back later when I have more stuff.
Quote:Original post by Jedimace

This sounds in a kind of a funny way. :P
Quote:Original post by Giedrius
Quote:Original post by Jedimace

This sounds in a kind of a funny way. :P

Hmm... It sounds generic, but I haven't heard of any RPG game with "Legends of" at the beginning of the name. Can I see some? I personally think a generic RPG rocks. But that's just me.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement