Source code for games?

Started by
22 comments, last by jpetrie 15 years, 9 months ago
I am looking for games that contain full source code. Art assets would be nice but not required. I don't want something like the source for Quake 3 (way over my head), but also not something like a tetris clone (too simple). Something like a space shooter or a side scroller would be nice. a 3D game would be great as well. It doesn't matter too much what language or API they use, but I would probably prefer something written in C so that I can try to rewrite it to use C++ features. If anyone knows of such a game and could post a link, I would really appreciate it. BTW, please don't link the "Don't Read Source Code" article, I have already read it.
Advertisement
Have you tried the article section?
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/list.asp?categoryid=45#302

You could also try sourceforge or liberated games.
Quote:Original post by Daaark
Have you tried the article section?
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/list.asp?categoryid=45#302

Those would be in the "way over my head" category. [smile]

Quote:You could also try sourceforge or liberated games.

Thanks, I will take a look.
Quote:Original post by Gage64
BTW, please don't link the "Don't Read Source Code" article, I have already read it.

Then why do you still want to read source code?
Quote:Original post by DevFred
BTW, please don't link the "Don't Read Source Code" article, I have already read it.

Because I disagree with some of the points made in that article. Having said that, I don't want to discuss this any further.
Quote:Original post by DevFred

Because I disagree with some of the points made in that article. Having said that, I don't want to discuss this any further.

Tough luck. Might be a bad idea to post on a discussion forum then. [grin]
What is it you expect to gain from reading this source code then?

I'm curious what it is that qualifies you, the person who's in "way over your head" to decide that advice given by people who actually know more than you, is invalid.

Since you don't want a link to that article again, here's another one you may find relevant.

Or then again, maybe not, if you really intend to ignore any advice that could be helpful.
How about Secret Maryo Chronicles? It's a 2d sidescroller written in C++ with SDL and OpenGL.

- Jason Astle-Adams

How about TuxRacer?
It' old but cool, and at intermediate level.
I believe there's an update and renamed it as penguin racer. But the original source code is fairly simple (at least for me...)
And written in C like you want. (OpenGL for graphics, SDL for sound and input)

Hope this helps
Dark Sylinc
Quote:Original post by Spoonbender
Since you don't want a link to that article again, here's another one you may find relevant.

That article was a bit harsh, and in my opinion not really applicable to the topic creator. The topic creator really wasn't acting cocky or trying to say he knew more than anyone (in fact he pretty much said the opposite).

While reading source code from others really isn't a great way to learn, it's not really THAT harmful (although you might pick up some bad habits).

A couple others have posted some games that are probably much better to take a look at than say Quake. Mainly because Quake is so big and you'd just get lost in it unless you spent weeks with it.

Once again, I'd recommend against even bothering to look at those and instead spend your time reading a good book (or free articles), but it's your choice.
Here is a worthwhile counterpoint to the article in question (I agree with the counterpoint, as an aside).

Microsoft released code for Allegiance and MechCommander 2. There's also the Marathon code, Abuse and Golgatha both got placed in the public domain when Crack-dot-Com went belly-up. All of those are pretty big games, though; there is nonetheless something interesting about most of them, dispite being well above your 'size' requirements. The Microsoft products in particular have an interesting asset and content build system, although it's not exactly... obvious.

Jeff Vogel released the code for Blades of Exile, which is smaller in scope. Be warned, however, that the code is particularly... outdated.

Bungie's Myth is, sadly, not on the list; the code was only released to a specific studio.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement