Concept art?

Started by
1 comment, last by yoporahh 15 years, 9 months ago
Hello. I have a few questions on concept art in general. First of all how do concept artists work? Are they all freelance artists and work with different companies from time to time? Or do they go to work everyday to the same company? How do they draw their art? I mean, I know about the wacom tablets but is that all they use or do they do sketches on paper aswell? And last of all, are there different sub-categories of concept artists? Or can they literally draw anything? Sorry if this is too many questions. I appreciate your patience in reading this. Thank you.
Advertisement
All the above?

At my company we have one guy that does a bulk of our concept work for product pitches with a couple of other artists who assist as well. He draws stuff on paper and scans it in and he does work with a tablet. He did indie comics and tabletop games before coming to us and he still does them on the side.

Once a contract is signed (or close to it) the lead artist on a project will work on assembling a style guide for the game, typically drafting one or two other artists to help him out.

Different companies will have different needs. Think about everything a concept artist could do and some company out there has a role for it.
laziness is the foundation of efficiency | www.AdrianWalker.info | Adventures in Game Production | @zer0wolf - Twitter
right, thanks!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement