Linux C++ IDE

Started by
26 comments, last by kRogue 15 years, 9 months ago
What C++ IDE would you reccommend for linux? Are there any that have debugging capabilities that come close to VC++? Thanks.
"We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the internet, we know this is not true." -- Professor Robert Silensky
Advertisement
I'd suggest Eclipse (CDT 4.x) or MonoDevelop. In my experience, those are the most polished C++ capable IDEs for Linux. Anjuta is another popular C++ IDE, but I've had a terrible experience with it (crashed every five minutes) and, IMHO, it is very ugly.

At the moment, I work on many of my projects "the Linux way". That is, with a good text editor and a few terminals. :-)

MonoDevelop has some cool packaging features and decent makefile integration. It doesn't offer built-in debugging for C/C++ though, which is a bummer.

The CDT is pretty nice, and exposes great toolchain and build options. In my experience, it is very sluggish though. Also, not much for debugging.

In any case, I'd try those two out, so long as you don't mind installing a JRE or Mono.

I would suggest learning about gdb and valgrind. I'm hoping someone starts developing a functional GUI-based debugger for Linux soon...
I'm currently using KDevelop, which isn't really the best C++ IDE, but it's not bad either (and I'm using Qt, so it's the natural choice for me right now).

NetBeans 6.0 (for C++) has quite a lot of goodies like intellisense, which makes development a tad sweeter. It's worth checking out.
Quote:Original post by daniel_i_l
What C++ IDE would you reccommend for linux? Are there any that have debugging capabilities that come close to VC++?
Thanks.

Emacs + Konsole works for me. For debugging compile with the -g option and use gdb. Also get to know the make utility, it's very easy after you get used to it.
I'd recommend using ddd over plain old gdb. It is ugly as sin, but is much easier to use.
Quote:Original post by Simian Man
I'd recommend using ddd over plain old gdb. It is ugly as sin, but is much easier to use.

Thanks, I'll have to check this one out too. How well does ddd handle assembly level debugging?
It is just a gui wrapper for gdb/others.
I'd recommend giving CodeBlocks a try. It's an impressive IDE, and well on its way to being a VC++ contender.

[Hardware:] Falcon Northwest Tiki, Windows 7, Nvidia Geforce GTX 970

[Websites:] Development Blog | LinkedIn
[Unity3D :] Alloy Physical Shader Framework

Code::Blocks is by far the best. Anjuta and KDevelop are lacking in both features and usability. Code::Blocks is the only IDE I've ever used that comes close to MSVC. I can't recommend it enough.
-------------Please rate this post if it was useful.
Quote:Original post by Hnefi
Code::Blocks is by far the best. Anjuta and KDevelop are lacking in both features and usability. Code::Blocks is the only IDE I've ever used that comes close to MSVC. I can't recommend it enough.

++CodeBlocks

I used CodeBlocks (CB) on Windows before switching to Linux (finally decided on Ubuntu like so many others), and, after trying a bunch of Linux IDE's, since it is not fair to rule out all other Linux IDE's simply because I like CB, I now both use CB for Windows and Linux development. It is by far simply the best free C++ IDE IMHO.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement