• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
STufaro

Camera Rotation Around a Point

This topic is 3645 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Sorry for posting two new topics so fast. This one isn't a major concern but I'd appreciate some help. I've Googled and looked it up to no avail. Again I'm in D3D8 and VB6. I have rendered a person and pushed my camera back along the +Z at (0,0,15) and had it face (0,0,0), such that I am looking at the top of the person's head; the person himself is facing in the +Y direction, his back to the -Y, etc. The up-vector is purely in the Y direction (0,1,0). I want the user to be able to rotate down to the person's feet using the up and down keys on the keyboard (that is, rotate around the X-axis), then rotate around the person himself (the length of the person is along the Z-axis). In other words, I want my two axes of rotation to be around the X and the Z. Around the X works, around the Z does not. I've looked this up and tried a few people's solutions, but none of them seem to be working. It's probably a math error. Here's the code:
If KeyCode = vbKeyUp Then
    icamx = icamx - 5
ElseIf KeyCode = vbKeyDown Then
    icamx = icamx + 5
ElseIf KeyCode = vbKeyLeft Then
    icamz = icamz - 5
Else
    icamz = icamz + 5
End If

CameraX = 15 * Sin(icamz * 3.14 / 180)
CameraY = 15 * Sin(icamx * 3.14 / 180) * Cos(icamz * 3.14 / 180)
CameraZ = 15 * Cos(icamx * 3.14 / 180)

MyEngine.SetCameraPosition CameraX, CameraY, CameraZ
In that, icamx is the angle from the X axis, and icamz is the angle from the Z axis. MyEngine is just a wrapper class I made for the boring stuff; SetEnginePosition just changes the View matrix's position to the X, Y, Z passed to it. That math actually does work for meshes when I move them around, just not the camera. I think it may be related to the view matrix. What should I do? Is combining the world and view matrices a better choice than setting the view matrix like I'm doing, or is there a fix for my trig (a trig fix would be easier because combining the view and world matrices would mean modifying my precious wrapper class I made :D). Thanks for any suggestions! - Steve.

Advertisement
Here's a typical setup I use for setting up viewing...

D3DXMATRIX matWorld;
D3DXMATRIX matView;
D3DXMATRIX matProj;

D3DXMatrixPerspectiveFovLH(&matProj, D3DX_PI / 4.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f, 10000.0f);

D3DXVECTOR3 v3Camera = D3DXVECTOR3(0.0f, 0.0f, 15.0f);
D3DXVECTOR3 v3Up = D3DXVECTOR3(0.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f);
D3DXVECTOR3 v3At = D3DXVECTOR3(0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f);

D3DXMatrixLookAtLH(&matView, &v3Camera, &v3At, &v3Up);
D3DXMatrixIdentity(&matWorld);

m_pDev->SetTransform(D3DTS_WORLD, &matWorld);
m_pDev->SetTransform(D3DTS_VIEW, &matView);
m_pDev->SetTransform(D3DTS_PROJECTION, &matProj);

The camera in this case will always be pointing to the v3At point. The basic calls you're looking for when moving the camera around are:

D3DXVECTOR3 v3Camera = D3DXVECTOR3(0.0f, 0.0f, 15.0f); // To move the camera
D3DXMatrixLookAtLH(&matView, &v3Camera, &v3At, &v3Up); // Set the matrix
m_pDev->SetTransform(D3DTS_VIEW, &matView); // Apply the matrix

Hey Wild Bill, thanks for your reply!

I got that far for the most part; that setup is almost identical to mine. I think my question is math/theory related.

Using this code:

If KeyCode = vbKeyUp Then
icamx = icamx - 5
ElseIf KeyCode = vbKeyDown Then
icamx = icamx + 5
ElseIf KeyCode = vbKeyLeft Then
icamz = icamz - 5
Else
icamz = icamz + 5
End If

CameraX = 15 * Sin(icamz * 3.14 / 180)
CameraY = 15 * Sin(icamx * 3.14 / 180) * Cos(icamz * 3.14 / 180)
CameraZ = 15 * Cos(icamx * 3.14 / 180)

MyEngine.SetCameraPosition CameraX, CameraY, CameraZ

The camera started at (0,0,15) facing (0,0,0).

Now imagine icamx = -90. This would mean the camera is at (0,15,0) (still facing (0,0,0)).

Now I start to change icamz, but instead it looks like instead of the camera revolving about the Z-axis it starts to go upside-down and to one side, and eventually things get very hairy.

So any suggestions with those maths would be appreciated!

Thanks again for the reply, though, Bill!

- Steve.

All right guys, I figured it out (I think).

The problem was I was putting the camera out along its up-vector axis and telling it to look at the origin, and for some reason that doesn't work. So when it got to that point, I had to change the camera's up-vector to keep everything right-side-up and in order.

But the original problem arose because my model was created in Blender which uses a right-handed coordinate system and D3D uses a left-handed coord system. So I was forcing my camera out along its up-vector axis to compensate for Blender's switching the axes (not knowing). Now all is well though!

- Steve.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

Participate in the game development conversation and more when you create an account on GameDev.net!

Sign me up!