• Advertisement
Sign in to follow this  
ShawMishrak

Direct3D 10 Debug Output

This topic is 3759 days old which is more than the 365 day threshold we allow for new replies. Please post a new topic.

If you intended to correct an error in the post then please contact us.

Is there a trick to getting the Direct3D 10 debug runtime to write debug information to the Visual Studio Output window? Or does the Direct3D 10 debug output just not say much? I'm creating the ID3D10Device instance with the D3D10_CREATE_DEVICE_DEBUG flag, and I've tried both "Application Controlled" and "Forced On" in the DX Control Panel. I have all of the "mute" options unchecked as well. Yet, I get no debug output in Visual Studio. Even if I never release any resources, I still get no debug output. I'm having problems with a swap chain resize event, and I would like the debug runtime to give me some indication as to what the problem is. I tried to use the ID3D10InfoQueue interface to write to the debug log (AddApplicationMessage) and that appears fine in the Output window. Does the Direct3D 10 debug output just not do as good of a job as the Direct3D 9 debug output?

Advertisement
The D3D10 debug messages are way better that of DX9. Could it be that you are just not making any mistakes?
Try allocating an ID3D10Buffer with a size bigger then 128MB. That should be illegal and give you a detailed error message on the Output window. If not, something is amiss.

Oh by the way, you do know that you must specify a folder/executable in the control panel explicitly that you want the debugger to work for, right? Creating a debug device and using forced/app controlled is just not enough.

Interesting, the ID3D10Buffer allocation did print an INFO message in the Output window. I guess that implies my D3D code is right (at least legal), so there must be another reason for the resize problem.

Is there a way to turn on memory validation to detect when resources are not released at the time of device destruction, like in Direct3D 9 debug output? That's what originally made me question whether the debug output was working, since I purposely tried to not release any D3D resources to see what the output would be. I'm currently getting nothing about un-released resources.

Hmm, AFAIK there is no warning of such. But I use a smart pointer with the d3d10 interfaces so I don't usually have that kind of problem.

I don't have much experience with it myself, but reportedly PIX (included in the DX SDK) is the tool of choice to monitor video memory & releases nowadays. More (somewhat disjoint [wink]) information can be found in this thread.

Sign in to follow this  

• Advertisement

Important Information

By using GameDev.net, you agree to our community Guidelines, Terms of Use, and Privacy Policy.

We are the game development community.

Whether you are an indie, hobbyist, AAA developer, or just trying to learn, GameDev.net is the place for you to learn, share, and connect with the games industry. Learn more About Us or sign up!

Sign me up!